Apr. 11, 2012 - Baseball
CHICAGO -- Aurora University scored eight of its nine runs in the game's final three innings as the 25th-ranked Spartans defeated the University of Chicago baseball team 9-4 Wednesday at J. Kyle Anderson Field.
Summary & Highlights
- Chicago (13-8) scored all four of its runs in the third inning. Sophomore LF Connor Bartelman (Noblesville, Ind./ Culver Academy) led off the inning with his first career hit and came around to score the game's first run on a base hit off the bat of junior 1B J.R. Lopez (Fort Collins, Colo./ Rocky Mountain) (pictured).
- Senior P Alex Garcia (Chicago, Ill./ De La Salle) held the Spartans hitless through 4.1 innings, although the Spartans did score an unearned run in the third.
- The score remained 4-1 in favor of the Maroons until the seventh when the Spartans plated a pair of runs.
- Aurora 2B Tanner Oymaian's one-out single in the eighth gave Aurora (19-4) a 5-4 lead and proved to be the difference in the contest.
- The Maroons loaded the bases in the eighth and ninth innings, but failed to score. Chicago stranded 12 runners on the afternoon.
- Kevin Day (1-1), the second of Aurora's four pitchers, earned the win with five shutout innings in relief.
- Garcia (2-2) took the loss, despite yielding only three earned runs over eight frames.
- Aurora won its sixth straight game and 15th in its last 16 outings.
- Wednesday's win capped a season series sweep for the Spartans, who defeated the Maroons 14-7 last Friday in Aurora.
- With two hits in three at-bats, junior C Jack Cinoman (Chicago, Ill./ Whitney Young) extended his hitting streak to 12 games.
- Freshman SS Kyle Engel (Downers Grove, Ill./ Downers Grove South) hit safely in his seventh straight game, going 2-for-4.
- Chicago will be idle until Sunday when it entertains Monmouth College in a doubleheader set to start at noon. The noon start is an hour earlier than originally scheduled.
University of Chicago Sports Information
Dave Hilbert, SID
773.702.4638 | firstname.lastname@example.org