Apr. 28, 2012 - Baseball
Game 1 Box | Game 2 Box
EUREKA, Ill. -- The University of Chicago baseball team, ranked first in the Central Region, pounded out 31 hits in 14 innings en route to a doubleheader sweep over host Eureka College Saturday afternoon. Chicago won the opener 8-1 before taking game two 16-5.
Game 1 Summary & Highlights
- Sophomore P Claude Lockhart (Shreveport, La./ Loyola) raised his record to 6-1 as he held the Red Devils to four hits over 6.2 innings. Lockhart allowed only one unearned run while recording a season-best nine strikeouts.
- Sophomore RF Brett Huff (Orland Park, Ill./ Sandburg) belted a three-run home run, his second of the year, as part of a five-run Chicago outburst in the top of the fifth inning.
- The Maroons had 11 hits off three Eureka hurlers.
Game 2 Summary & Highlights
- Huff (pictured), junior 1B J.R. Lopez (Fort Collins, Colo./ Rocky Mountain), and junior 2B Steven Schwabe (Wood Dale, Ill./ Driscoll Catholic) each had four of the Maroons' season-high 20 hits.
- Sophomore CF Ricky Troncelliti (Norristown, Pa./ Haverford School) hit his third home run of the year in the top of the third.
- Junior P Matt O'Connor (Forest Park, Ill./ Northridge) recorded the victory (4-1) with three scoreless innings out of the bullpen.
- Chicago won for the seventh time in nine road games. Including neutral site contests, the Maroons are 16-6 away from home.
- Lockhart lowered his season ERA to 0.88. In his six starts, he has yet to allow more than one earned run.
- At 22-11, Chicago has recorded its winningest season since 2004 (24-13).
- Eureka fell to 10-27 on the year.
- The Maroons return home Tuesday to host North Central College at 3 p.m.
University of Chicago Sports Information
Dave Hilbert, SID
773.702.4638 | firstname.lastname@example.org