Apr. 9, 2012 - Baseball
| Video Clip of Game-Winning Hit
CHICAGO -- Junior LF Jack Cinoman's (Chicago, Ill./ Whitney Young) (pictured) bases-loaded triple with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning lifted the University of Chicago baseball team to a 10-9 win over Hope College Monday at J. Kyle Anderson Field.
Summary & Highlights
- Hope (9-13) took a 9-7 lead into the final half inning. Sophomore RF Brett Huff (Orland Park, Ill./ Sandburg) and junior 2B Steven Schwabe (Wood Dale, Ill./ Driscoll Catholic) singled to put the tying run at the plate with one out.
- With two outs, junior CF Ben Bullock (Englewood, Colo./ Regis Jesuit) popped up on the infield, but the ball fell in fair territory to place Bullock on first as the winning run.
- Cinoman, who was hitless in five at-bats, then belted a drive to the left center field gap for his school-record seventh triple of the season and first career walk-off hit.
- Junior P Drew Nicholson (Oswego, Ill./ Oswego), the Maroons' third pitcher of the day, earned the win (2-0) with two scoreless frames. He retired six of the seven batters he faced, striking out three.
- Hope led 3-2 before Bullock's solo homer leading off the third tied the game. The Flying Dutchmen then scored three times in the fourth and added two more in the fifth to take an 8-3 lead.
- Schwabe and junior 1B J.R. Lopez (Fort Collins, Colo./ Rocky Mountain) each had three hits for the Maroons (12-7). Sophomore 3B Will Katzka (Wynnewood, Pa./ Haverford School) collected a pair of RBIs.
- CF T.J. Klein went 3-for-6 with two runs and two RBIs for Hope. 3B Eric Dawson and C Joe Ponte also drove in a pair.
- With his seventh triple of the season, Cinoman surpassed All-American Mark Mosier's record of six which had stood since 1997.
- Cinoman extended his hitting streak to 10 games.
- The Maroons improved to 3-0 in games decided by one run.
- Chicago won for the first time in six games when trailing after six innings.
- The Maroons travel to Schaumburg to face Dominican University Tuesday at 3 p.m. Chicago then returns home to host Aurora University Wednesday at 3 p.m.
University of Chicago Sports Information
Dave Hilbert, SID
773.702.4638 | firstname.lastname@example.org