Apr. 25, 2012 - Baseball
CHICAGO -- Freshman SS Kyle Engel's (Downers Grove, Ill./ Downers Grove South) two-out double in the bottom of the 10th inning gave the University of Chicago baseball team a 5-4 win over North Park University Wednesday at J. Kyle Anderson Field.
Summary & Highlights
- North Park (24-10) scored four runs in the first two innings off sophomore starter Alex Terry (Omaha, Neb./ Brownell-Talbot). From that point on, Terry (4-2) allowed just one hit en route to a 10-inning complete game win.
- Terry retired 24 of the final 26 batters he faced, at one point setting down 13 in a row.
- The Maroons (20-11) took advantage of two North Park errors to tie the game with three runs in the bottom of the seventh. Sophomore CF Ricky Troncelliti (Norristown, Pa./ Haverford School) delivered a two-run single before senior C Stephen Williams (Malibu, Calif./ Malibu) hit a sacrifice fly two batters later.
- With two outs in the bottom of the 10th, freshman LF R.J. Gatto (Naperville, Ill./ Benet Academy) walked and came around to score on Engel's first career walk-off hit.
- Wednesday's victory gave Chicago its eighth 20-win campaign under Head Coach Brian Baldea.
- Terry's complete game was his team-leading fourth of the season.
- Batting leadoff for only the second time this season, Engel (pictured) went 3-for-6.
- The Maroons snapped a two-game home losing streak and elevated their record above .500 (6-5) at J. Kyle Anderson Field.
- The Maroons return to action Saturday with a doubleheader at Eureka College. Game one is set for 1 p.m.
University of Chicago Sports Information
Dave Hilbert, SID
773.702.4638 | firstname.lastname@example.org