Apr. 14, 2012 - Softball
Game 1 Box | Game 2 Box
CHICAGO -- Facing a top-10 ranked opponent for the second time this season, the University of Chicago softball team split a twinbill with #9 University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Saturday at Stagg Field. After winning the opener 5-1, the Maroons dropped a 6-2 decision in game two.
Game 1 Summary & Highlights
- Sophomore 3B Maddie McManus' (Simsbury, Conn./ Simsbury) two-run home run in the bottom of the fourth inning gave the Maroons the only runs they would need in their opening game victory.
- The Warhawks scored the game's first run on a solo blast off the bat of C Emily Epifanio in the top of the fourth. McManus (pictured) then belted her first homer of the year over the right field wall to give the Maroons a 2-1 lead.
- Chicago added two more runs in the fifth and capped the scoring on sophomore CF Kaitlyn Carpenter's (Des Moines, Iowa/ East) solo homer in the sixth. The home run -- a line drive over the right field wall -- was Carpenter's second of the spring.
- Junior P Kim Cygan (Lake Barrington, Ill./ Barrington) went the distance for the Maroons, allowing four hits over seven innings.
Game 2 Summary & Highlights
- Epifanio and SS Laura Eichenold each drove in a pair of runs as the Warhawks (19-5) won the nightcap 6-2.
- Senior 1B Liz Payonk's (Palos Heights, Ill./ Stagg) two-run double in the opening frame gave Chicago (18-8) a 2-1 lead, but Whitewater answered with two runs in the third and two more in the fourth.
- A bases-loaded walk to DP Samie Seamon in the third inning plated the Warhawks' third run of the day, which proved to be the difference in the contest.
- Beeka Houda (7-2) threw a complete game, scattering six hits while fanning seven.
- With her game one victory, Cygan reached double digit victories for the first time in her career.
- Chicago's win in Saturday's opener marked the first time in seven games that the Maroons won when an opposing team scored the first run.
- The Maroons 4-3 against nationally-ranked opponents.
- The Maroons return to action next Saturday when they host Hope College in a doubleheader set for 1 p.m.
University of Chicago Sports Information
Dave Hilbert, SID
773.702.4638 | email@example.com