Dec. 30, 2011 - Women's Basketball
CHICAGO -- Senior Taylor Simpson (Lee's Summit, Mo./ Lee's Summit) led three Maroons in double figures with 17 points as the second-ranked University of Chicago women's basketball team defeated host North Park University 65-49 Friday evening.
- Simpson and junior Maggie Ely (Hillsdale, N.J./ Pascack Valley) (pictured) combined for 16 points (Simpson 9, Ely 7) in the first half as the Maroons (9-0) opened up a 29-24 edge at the intermission.
- Chicago maintained a double digit advantage for the game's final 15:55, leading by as many as 17 points (59-42) at the 3:53 mark.
- Simpson, who also pulled down a team-best eight rebounds, connected on seven of 11 attempts from the floor en route to her fourth straight double-digit scoring performance.
- Senior Joann Torres (Richgrove, Calif./ Cesar Chavez) finished with 12 points, while freshman Hannah Ballard (Oak Park, Ill./ Fenwick) added 10.
- Chicago held North Park (6-5) to 26.0% shooting from the field.
- Roxanne Jones paced North Park with 10 points.
- Chicago won its 27th consecutive regular season game overall and its 13th in a row on the road.
- Since the start of the 2007-08 campaign, Chicago is 79-2 with a 40-game winning streak when leading at halftime.
- With its eighth straight series victory, Chicago improved to 18-3 all-time against North Park.
- Torres' 12 points marked her season high.
- Chicago returns home Tuesday night to entertain Bethany Lutheran College at 7 p.m. The Maroons tip off UAA play Jan. 7 at Washington University-St. Louis.
University of Chicago Sports Information
Dave Hilbert, SID
773.702.4638 | email@example.com