CHICAGO – University of Chicago football player Chandler Carroll added a second-straight Academic All-American accolade to his resume from the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) on Wednesday.
To be nominated, a student-athlete must be a starter or important reserve with at least a 3.30 cumulative grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) at his/her current institution.
Carroll earned First Team Academic All-America status this year after earning Second Team honors in 2016. The senior running back tallied 1,249 rushing yards (4.8 yards per rush) and 18 total touchdowns. He also collected a team-high 28 receptions for 251 yards (9.0 yards per catch). Carroll was a First Team All-Midwest Conference selection at the end of the season.
Over the course of his decorated career, Carroll set eight new school records for career touchdowns (46), career rushing touchdowns (37), career points (276), career rushing attempts (859), season touchdowns (18), season rushing touchdowns (16), season points (108), and rushing yards in a game (311). He is also second all-time at UChicago in career rushing yards (3,979) and career all-purpose yards (5,186).
Carroll, an economics major, is the seventh repeat CoSIDA Academic All-American in school history. UChicago football has totaled nine CoSIDA Academic All-American selections.
UChicago Two-time Academic All-Americans
- Chandler Carroll (Football) – 2016 and 2017
- Frank Baker (Football) – 1992 and 1993
- Madelyn Detloff (Softball) – 1986 and 1987
- Michelle Dobbs (Women's Track & Field) – 2016 and 2017
- Gretchen Gates (Women's Basketball) – 1985 and 1986
- Paul Haar (Football) – 1987 and 1988
- Zach Rodgers (Men's Track & Field) – 2007 and 2008
UChicago Football Academic All-Americans
- Chandler Carroll (RB) – 2017 (1st Team) and 2016 (2nd Team)
- Vincent Beltrano (CB) – 2015 (1st Team)
- Frank Baker (RB) – 1993 (1st Team) and 1992 (2nd Team)
- Steve Chudik (S) – 1991 (2nd Team)
- Paul Haar (OL) – 1988 (1st Team) and 1987 (1st Team)
- Bruce Montella (RB) – 1985 (2nd Team)