May 15, 2014
UChicago men's soccer announces six newcomers for the 2014 season
CHICAGO, Ill. – University of Chicago Head Men's Soccer Coach Mike Babst announced on Thursday the names of six newcomers who will join the Maroons in 2014.
"We can't wait to add these six players to our program," Babst said. "They have all played major roles for very successful high school, club or academy teams, and they all have an ambition to replicate that at the University of Chicago. I am very excited that these six players will be competing for our program over the next four years, and that the University of Chicago is adding six incredibly driven and talented young men to our community."
- Hometown: Columbus, Ind.
- Club Team: Carmel United
- Position: Central Midfield
- Player highlights/honors: Named 2013 Indiana First Team All-State, NSCAA All-Region IV and The Republic Soccer Player of the Year ... Second Team All-State in 2012 ... Two-time state cup champion with Carmel United ... Team captain of Columbus North High School team that had an undefeated season ... Team captain of the Columbus North basketball team.
- Coach Babst quote: "Andre is a proven leader from a great high school program in Columbus North and club team at Carmel United. He has great awareness and anticipation in the middle of the field, and is also very a strong physical presence. He is a player who will make everyone around him better during his career as a Maroon."
- Hometown: Highlands Ranch, Colo.
- Club Team: Real Colorado
- Position: Goalkeeper
- Player highlights/honors: Goalkeeper for Real Colorado U.S. Soccer Development Academy (USDA) U-18 team that currently holds a wild card spot for the USDA playoffs ... Team captain of the U-16 Real Colorado USDA team ... Goalkeeper for Real Colorado national team that won state cup and advanced to quarterfinals of Far West Regionals ... Started as a freshman for Grand Junction High School.
- Coach Babst quote: "Hill is one of the most technically sound goalkeepers I have ever recruited, which is a result of his constant drive to get better. He immediately stood out to us in the recruiting process as a player who has the potential to be a great college keeper. His experience playing in one of the most difficult conferences in the USDA has prepared him for the college game."
- Hometown: Glen Ellyn, Ill.
- Club Team: Galaxy SC
- Position: Forward
- Player highlights/honors: Transfer from American University ... Played club soccer for Galaxy SC ... Team won Illinois State Cup, National League Championship, and 2012 U-17 US Soccer Youth National Championship ... Team captain as a senior for Benet Academy team where he was Pepsi Chicago Fire All-Academic/All-State selection as well as Illinois ESC Conference Player of the Year.
- Coach Babst quote: "Brad comes to us after a year at American University. He is a proven winner as the target for his Galaxy team that won every major club trophy and with his Benet Academy team where he captained them to one of their most successful seasons ever. I expect him to be an immediate asset to both our culture and our attack."
- Hometown: Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Club Team: Crew Academy Wolves
- Position: Back/Midfield
- Player highlights/honors: Currently plays for U-18 Crew Academy Wolves in the USDA ... Starting left back for U-16 team that won Mid-America Division in the USDA, and advanced to Academy Finals Week in 2013 ... Former member of Region II team ... Invited to National ID camp in 2009 and USSF Training Center ID Camp in 2011.
- Coach Babst quote: "Gary has been a key player for the Crew Academy Wolves over the past few years. He has played outside back and center midfield for one of the most successful teams in the USDA. He is a very technical, tough and hardworking player who will compete for time at a number of positions right away."
- Hometown: Ridgefield, Conn.
- Club Team: Oakwood Soccer Club
- Position: Back/Midfield
- Player highlights/honors: Plays for Oakwood Soccer Club in USDA ... Member of U-16 team that qualified for playoffs, and U-18 team that currently holds fourth place in the Atlantic Division ... Invited to 2012 USSF Soccer Training Center ID Camp ... Three-year starter at Choate-Rosemary Hall ... Helped lead team to WNEPSA quarterfinals in 2012 and 2013 ... 2012 WNEPSA All-Star.
- Coach Babst quote: "Andrew has been a key member of an Oakwood Academy team that is on track to make the USDA playoffs two years in a row. He is another very versatile player who has a competitiveness and work rate that will make an immediate impact on the program."
- Hometown: Vestavia Hills, Ala.
- Club Team: Vestavia Steamers
- Position: Right Back
- Player highlights/honors: Right Back for Vestavia Hills team that was the first team from Alabama to qualify for the National League ... Four-time Alabama State Cup Champion ... Alabama High School State Champion at Vestavia Hills High School ... Captain of BUSA U-16 USDA team ... Former member of Alabama state ODP team.
- Coach Babst quote: "Stacey has a tremendous combination of size, pace and drive. He has the type of character that will make him a player who constantly improves over his four years here. I expect him to be a very important player and personality on our team for the next four years."