CHICAGO – In their opening matches of the season, the University of Chicago men's and women's tennis teams came through with wins over Carthage College on Tuesday afternoon.
The No. 10-ranked Maroon women (1-0 record) defeated the Lady Reds (2-1) in a 9-0 sweep, while the No. 5-ranked Maroon men (1-0) topped the Red Men (0-1) by a 7-2 margin.
On the women's side, UChicago burst out of the gate by sweeping doubles and bringing the hammer down in singles. The Maroons had a trio of 6-0, 6-0 victories along with two 6-1, 6-0 matches. Multiple winners on the day in both singles and doubles included sophomore Rachel Kim, senior Tiffany Chen and freshmen Marjorie Antohi, Estefania Navarro and Alyssa Rudin.
UChicago's men took a 2-1 lead after doubles and proceeded to seize five out of six singles matches. Carthage forced No. 2 and No. 3 singles to go to three sets, but the Maroons got clutch wins from freshman Erik Kerrigan and sophomore Charlie Pei, respectively. Pei was a multiple winner, teaming up with junior Peter Leung to take No. 3 doubles by an 8-1 margin. Three of the singles matches were won by the Maroons while only surrendering a combined two games.
"On the women's side, I was very happy with the way we competed," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "We had fantastic energy from the start and played to win from the first point. It was good to get the first years some quality match experience and see them compete well and get some wins, while the returners led by example and really took care of business. The men weren't quite as sharp but found a way to pull out the win, which was encouraging. We're still working to find our identity as a team, but I'm confident that we will continue to improve and get tougher the more we compete."
UChicago 7, Carthage 2
1. Herman Abban (CAR) def. Ninan Kumar (UC) 6-4, 6-4
2. Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Pawel Jaworski (CAR) 6-1, 0-6, 6-4
3. Charlie Pei (UC) def. Chris Conley (CAR) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
4. Luke Tsai (UC) def. Lukasz Jaworski (CAR) 6-0, 6-1
5. Max Liu (UC) def. Oscar Irazoque (CAR) 6-0, 6-0
6. Jonathan Li (UC) def. Fordy Leipold (CAR) 6-1, 6-0
1. Herman Abban/Pawel Jaworski (CAR) def. Nicolas Chua/David Liu (UC) 8-4
2. Ninan Kumar/Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Chris Conley/Lukasz Jaworski (CAR) 8-3
3. Charlie Pei/Peter Leung (UC) def. Oscar Irazoque/Fordy Leipold (CAR) 8-1
UChicago 9, Carthage 0
1. Rachel Kim (UC) def. Casey Frommer (CAR) 6-0, 6-0
2. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Max Mella (CAR) 6-0, 6-0
3. Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Angelica Emmanouil (CAR) 6-2, 6-3
4. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Kristen Kalinka (CAR) 6-1, 6-0
5. Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Eliza Barter (CAR) 6-0, 6-0
6. Kaela Bynoe (UC) def. Natalie Favia (CAR) 6-1, 6-0
1. Rachel Kim/Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Max Mella/Angelica Emmanouil (CAR) 8-4
2. Marjorie Antohi/Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Casey Frommer/Kristen Kalinka (CAR) 8-1
3. Tiffany Chen/Courtney Warren (UC) def. Eliza Barter/Natalie Favia (CAR) 8-2
- Men: Friday-Monday, Sept. 23-26 – UChicago at ITA Central Region Championships (Kalamazoo, Mich.)
- Women: Friday-Monday, Sept. 30-Oct. 3 – UChicago at ITA Central Region Championships (Kalamazoo, Mich.)