CHICAGO – The University of Chicago men's tennis team dominated its final match leading into spring break, shutting out NCAA Division I opponent Niagara University 9-0 on Friday.
The No. 4-ranked Maroons (10-1) have won four-straight duals against NCAA Division I or Division II opponents over the past three seasons. The Purple Eagles dropped to 2-7.
With a big spring break trip to California upcoming in 10 days, the Maroons tuned up their rackets on Friday morning indoors at XS Tennis. The doubles teams came out firing and did not allow more than two games in any of the three match wins.
UChicago then turned its attention to singles and made quick work with six straight-set victories. Juniors Nicolas Chua and Luke Tsai only surrendered one game apiece in their matches at No. 1 and No. 3, respectively. Freshman Ninan Kumar prevailed at No. 4 singles 6-2, 6-0 and senior Max Hawkins took the No. 6 spot 6-1, 6-2. Sophomore Charlie Pei and junior Peter Leung triumphed in second-set tiebreaks as well at No. 2 and No. 5, respectively.
"This was a good match for us to get in before we head west next week," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "We played smart, disciplined tennis and gained some extra confidence. Now we can feel good and focus on finals before flying out to LA next Friday."
UChicago 9, Niagara 0
1. Nicolas Chua (UC) def. Felipe Fuentes (NIA) 6-0, 6-1
2. Charlie Pei (UC) def. Taylan Ozdemir (NIA) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Luke Tsai (UC) def. Josh Wilson (NIA) 6-1, 6-0
4. Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Francis Nadeau (NIA) 6-2, 6-0
5. Peter Leung (UC) def. Brent Boleslav (NIA) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Max Hawkins (UC) def. Lukas Wenninger (NIA) 6-1, 6-2
1. Ninan Kumar/Nicolas Chua (UC) def. Francis Nadeau/Taylan Ozdemir (NIA) 8-2
2. Bobby Bethke/Charlie Pei (UC) def. Felipe Fuentes/Josh Wilson (NIA) 8-2
3. Max Hawkins/Luke Tsai (UC) def. Brent Boleslav/Lukas Wenninger (NIA) 8-1
- Monday, Mar. 20 @ 10:00 AM (PT) – UChicago vs. Colby College (Pomona, Calif.)