CLAREMONT, Calif. – In its first match of the west coast spring break trip, the University of Chicago men's tennis team swept Colby College 9-0 on Monday.
The No. 5-ranked Maroons improved to 11-1. The No. 37-ranked Mules dropped to 5-2.
The Maroons went on to take four of the six singles matches in straight sets. The top two singles spots went to third sets, but junior Nicolas Chua and Pei both emerged victorious. Juniors Luke Tsai and Peter Leung only allowed three games against them in their wins at third and sixth singles, respectively.
UChicago 9, Colby 0
1. Nicolas Chua (UC) def. Carl Reid (COLB) 6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Charlie Pei (UC) def. Vlad Murad (COLB) 7-6 (10-8), 3-6, 6-0
3. Luke Tsai (UC) def. Scott Altmeyer (COLB) 6-2, 6-1
4. Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Zale Shah (COLB) 6-1, 7-5
5. Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Shaw Speer (COLB) 6-4, 6-2
6. Peter Leung (UC) def. Nam Le (COLB) 6-0, 6-3
1. Ninan Kumar/Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Carl Reid/Vlad Murad (COLB) 8-4
2. Tyler Raclin/Max Hawkins (UC) def. Scott Altmeyer/Zale Shah (COLB) 8-6
3. Charlie Pei/Bobby Bethke (UC) def. Shaw Speer/Cam Hillier (COLB) 8-2
- Tuesday, March 21 @ 9:30 AM (PT) – UChicago vs. Tufts (Claremont, Calif.)