WEST BEND, Wis. – The University of Chicago men's tennis team returned from a two-week break from competition with a 6-3 victory over Gustavus Adolphus College on Sunday.
The No. 5-ranked Maroons improved to 14-2 on the season, including a 10-2 mark against nationally-ranked opponents. The No. 31-ranked Gusties fell to 20-8.
Doubles play got UChicago off on the right foot with a dominating 3-0 lead. The No. 1 pair of freshmen Erik Kerrigan and Ninan Kumar ran away with their result, 8-2. The No. 2 (freshman Tyler Raclin/senior Max Hawkins) and No. 3 (sophomore Charlie Pei/junior Bobby Bethke) pairings won by matching 8-6 scores.
When singles play got rolling, the two sides split the six doubles matches. Freshman Erik Kerrigan and sophomore Jonathan Li rolled through their matches at No. 3 and No. 6, only surrendering three games each to clinch the team victory. Sophomore Charlie Pei battled through three sets to win at No. 2.
"We played some real quality doubles today, which gave us a nice cushion heading into singles, which we ended up needing," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "Jon and Erik played focused, tough singles matches to clinch the win, and it was great to see them step up for their team. We need to have a great week of practice and correct some mistakes before heading to St. Louis next weekend."
UChicago 6, Gustavus Adolphus 3
1. Mohanad Alhouni (GAC) def. Nicolas Chua (UC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Charlie Pei (UC) def. Patrick Whaling (GAC) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
3. Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Tommy Entwistle (GAC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Chase Johnson (GAC) def. Luke Tsai (UC) 2-6, 7-5, 12-10
5. Yassine Derbani (GAC) def. Peter Leung (UC) 6-3, 6-3
6. Jonathan Li (UC) def. Gabe Steinwand (GAC) 6-2, 6-1
1. Ninan Kumar/Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Mohanad Alhouni/Patrick Whaling (GAC) 8-2
2. Tyler Raclin/Max Hawkins (UC) def. Tommy Entwistle/Chase Johnson (GAC) 8-6
3. Charlie Pei/Bobby Bethke (UC) def. David Hagberg/Yassine Derbani (GAC) 8-6
- Saturday, April 15 @ 2:00 PM – UChicago vs. Wisconsin-Whitewater (at St. Louis, Mo.)