ST. LOUIS, Mo. – University of Chicago tennis put together a pair of dominant performances as the men won 9-0 and the women triumphed 8-1 over University of Wisconsin-Whitewater on Saturday.
The No. 5-ranked Maroon men improved to 15-2 while the No. 40-ranked Warhawks fell to 10-11.
UChicago kept their doubles momentum rolling with a clean sweep, including 8-2 decisions at No. 1 and No. 2. In singles, the Maroons snared all six bouts in straight sets. Junior Nicolas Chua shut out his opponent at No. 1 while juniors Luke Tsai and Peter Leung only surrendered three games apiece. Multiple winners on the day included freshman Erik Kerrigan and sophomore Charlie Pei.
On the women's side, the No. 8-ranked Maroons boosted their record to 13-3. The No. 22-ranked Warhawks dropped to 17-7.
UWW took the top spot in doubles, but UChicago handily seized the second and third spots, 8-4 and 8-2, respectively. Singles play saw three-set super tiebreak action at No. 1 and No. 4, with the Maroons coming out on top each time. The other four matches were all straight-set victories. Freshmen Marjorie Antohi, Alyssa Rudin and Laura Gutierrez held their opponents to three games or fewer. Multi winners included junior Ariana Iranpour, senior Tiffany Chen, Rudin and Gutierrez.
"I'm really pleased with both results today because of the way we dealt with the conditions and a pesky opponent in Whitewater," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "We continue to get better and better at dealing with adversity and finding a positive response. We're still not quite where we want to be, but we are getting closer and closer every day. Tomorrow will be a great test for both teams to see exactly where we are at heading into the conference tournament next week."
Men: UChicago 9, Wisconsin-Whitewater 0
1. Nicolas Chua (UC) def. Grant Thompson (UWW) 6-0, 6-0
2. Charlie Pei (UC) def. Zane Navratil (UWW) 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
3. Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Jimmy Engelhart (UWW) 6-3, 6-2
4. Luke Tsai (UC) def. Matt Zurowski (UWW) 6-2, 6-1
5. Peter Leung (UC) def. Zach Wood (UWW) 6-1, 6-2
6. Jonathan Li (UC) def. Lucas Monterroso (UWW) 7-5, 6-0
1. Ninan Kumar/Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Zane Navratil/Jimmy Engelhart (UWW) 8-2
2. Tyler Raclin/Max Hawkins (UC) def. Rory Calabria/Zach Wood (UWW) 8-2
3. Charlie Pei/Bobby Bethke (UC) def. Brandon Dechter/Matt Zurowski (UWW) 9-7
Women: UChicago 8, Wisconsin-Whitewater 1
1. Ariana Iranpour (UC) def. Megan Humphreys (UWW) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Bridgid McGuire (UWW) 6-0, 6-3
3. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Jillian Wallace (UWW) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
4. Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Alicia Beck (UWW) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Brittany Goebel (UWW) 6-1, 6-0
6. Laura Gutierrez (UC) def. Rachel Siemon (UWW) 6-2, 6-1
1. Megan Humphreys/Bridgid McGuire (UWW) def. Marjorie Antohi/Courtney Warren (UC) 8-3
2. Tiffany Chen/Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Jillian Wallace/Alicia Beck (UWW) 8-4
3. Ariana Iranpour/Laura Gutierrez (UC) def. Brittany Goebel/Rachel Siemon (UWW) 8-2
- Sunday, April 16 @ 10:00 AM / 2:00 PM – UChicago at Washington-St. Louis