ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. – The University of Chicago men's tennis team dropped a 6-3 decision to Washington University-St. Louis in the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship semifinals on Saturday.
The No. 5-ranked Maroons fell to 16-4 and the No. 6-ranked Bears moved to 15-3.
WashU took a 3-0 lead after doubles and UChicago could not recover from the deficit. The teams then split singles evenly. Junior Nicolas Chua captured the No. 1 singles spot 6-4, 6-3. Junior Peter Leung also won in straight sets at No. 5 by scores of 6-2, 7-5. Freshman Erik Kerrigan battled through three sets and was victorious in a third-set tiebreak 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (7-3).
"Today's match was a tough one to swallow because I really felt like we were making positive strides in our mental and physical toughness," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "We played hard in singles and competed well at most spots, but that 3-0 hole after doubles was just too much to come back from against a disciplined team like WashU. The bright side is that we get to come right back again tomorrow morning and try to show what kind of team I think we are. I know we're still a good team and I anticipate us coming out ready to prove our resiliency and grit."
Washington-St. Louis 6, UChicago 3
1. Nicolas Chua (UC) def. Johnny Wu (WASHU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. John Carswell (WASHU) 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Bernardo Neves (WASHU) def. Charlie Pei (UC) 6-3, 4-6, 6-0
4. Jeremy Bush (WASHU) def. Luke Tsai (UC) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Peter Leung (UC) def. Robin Engel (WASHU) 6-2, 7-5
6. J.J. Kroot (WASHU) def. Jonathan Li (UC) 6-2, 6-0
1. Konrad Kozlowski/Jason Haugen (WASHU) def. Ninan Kumar/Erik Kerrigan (UC) 8-4
2. Jeremy Bush/J.J. Kroot (WASHU) def. Tyler Raclin/Max Hawkins (UC) 8-3
3. Bernardo Neves/Radha Vishnubhotla (WASHU) def. Charlie Pei/Bobby Bethke (UC) 8-5
- Sunday, April 23 @ 9:00 AM (ET) – UChicago vs. Carnegie Mellon (at UAA Championship)