ST. PETER, Minn. – The University of Chicago men's tennis team kicked off its opening match of the NCAA Division III Championship by downing Coe College 5-1 in Saturday's second round match-up.
The No. 6-ranked Maroons improved to 18-4 while the No. 35-ranked Kohawks finished their season at 26-6.
After receiving a first-round bye, UChicago faced off with Coe for the third time this year. The previous meetings ended in favor of the Maroons, 9-0 and 8-1.
However, the Kohawks looked to take the lead in doubles. UChicago's new No. 3 pairing of junior Nicolas Chua and sophomore Charlie Pei paid immediate dividends as they shut out the opposition, 8-0. But Coe took first doubles 8-5 and looked primed to take the match lead with a 7-4 edge at No. 2. The tandem of freshman Tyler Raclin and senior Max Hawkins came roaring back to win in a 9-8 tiebreaker.
The Maroons carried that momentum into singles, capturing all six first sets along the way. Freshman Erik Kerrigan crushed his foe with a 6-0, 6-0 victory at the No. 2 spot. He was followed up by junior Luke Tsai, who won at No. 5 by scores of 6-3, 6-1. Freshman Ninan Kumar ended the afternoon contest with the clinching team point at No. 6 with a 6-1, 6-1 win.
UChicago 5, Coe 1
1. Nicolas Chua (UC) vs. Brady Anderson (COE) 7-6, unfinished
2. Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Nate Ackert (COE) 6-0, 6-0
3. Charlie Pei (UC) vs. James McManus (COE) 6-3, 5-1, unfinished
4. Peter Leung (UC) vs. Josh Pudlo (COE) 6-3, 2-1, unfinished
5. Luke Tsai (UC) def. Alex Bernt (COE) 6-3, 6-1
6. Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Nate Greiner (COE) 6-1, 6-1
1. Josh Pudlo/Luke Ford (COE) def. Ninan Kumar/Erik Kerrigan (UC) 8-5
2. Tyler Raclin/Max Hawkins (UC) def. Brady Anderson/Nate Greiner (COE) 9-8
3. Charlie Pei/Nicolas Chua (UC) def. Nate Ackert/James McManus (COE) 8-0
- Sunday, May 14 @ Noon – UChicago at Gustavus Adolphus (NCAA Regional Final)