CHICAGO – The University of Chicago men's tennis team will travel to Claremont, Calif. to play in the NCAA Division III Championship quarterfinals on Monday, May 21. The championship week will feature the semifinals on May 22, the finals on May 23, and the start of the NCAA singles and doubles brackets on May 24. Claremont-Mudd-Scripps will serve as host.
Monday, May 21
- UChicago vs. Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, 9:00 AM (PT)
- Bowdoin vs. Washington - St. Louis, 9:00 AM (PT)
- Middlebury vs. Whitman, 12:00 PM (PT)
- Williams vs. Emory, 12:00 PM (PT)
Tuesday, May 22
- NCAA semifinals, 11:00 AM (PT)
Wednesday, May 23
- NCAA championship match, 11:00 AM (PT)
#7 UChicago Maroons
- Season record: 18-4 overall / 3-0 University Athletic Association (UAA)
- NCAA appearances: 6
- Last NCAA appearance: Reached NCAA Third Round (2017)
- Notes: Victories over Augustana College and No. 9-ranked Carnegie Mellon University put the Maroons into the NCAA quarterfinals for the third time in program history … Senior David Liu won all four of his matches in his return from a 14-month absence, earning UAA Athlete of the Week honors on Monday … UChicago has a 4-2 record against the other quarterfinalists this season … The Maroons earned an automatic bid to the postseason after winning the UAA Championship for the first time in program history… Seven players received All-UAA status this week, with Jeremy Yuan earning UAA Rookie of the Year. Head Coach Jay Tee and Kris Powell also picked up UAA Coaching Staff of the Year … The Maroons have an 9-3 record against top-15 teams this season … UChicago reached the NCAA semifinals in 2015 and 2016.
#5 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Stags
- Season record: 30-3 / 9-0 Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC)
- NCAA appearances: 31
- Last NCAA appearance: NCAA runner-up (2017)
- Notes: CMS has reached the NCAA quarterfinals for the ninth-consecutive season … After a first-round bye, the Stags defeated No. 31 UC Santa Cruz and No. 15 Trinity University (Texas) … This year CMS claimed its 13th-consecutive SCIAC title… The Stags have won 124 straight conference matches … Sophomore Nikolai Parodi is the top-ranked player in the ITA West Region … This season, CMS has only lost to Bowdoin, Emory and Williams – all of whom have also reached the quarterfinals … The Stags won the national championship in 2015.
#3 Bowdoin College Polar Bears
- Season record: 21-1 / 8-1 New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC)
- NCAA appearances: 18
- Last NCAA appearance: Reached NCAA Semifinals (2017)
- Notes: Bowdoin defeated Yeshiva and No. 27 RPI to advance to its third-straight quarterfinals … The Polar Bears captured the NESCAC crown for the second year in-a-row with a 5-3 win over Middlebury, who dealt Bowdoin its only loss earlier in the season by an 8-1 score … The team's 21 wins so far have tied the school record … Bowdoin has played five of the remaining eight teams, beating four in addition to the split with Middlebury … Junior Grant Urken and senior Luke Tercek sit in the top ten of the ITA Northeast Region, while senior Kyle Wolfe is ranked 11th … Last season, Bowdoin fell to eventual champions Emory in the NCAA semifinals… The Polar Bears were national champions in 2016.
#10 Washington University - St. Louis Bears
- Season record: 17-8 / 2-1 University Athletic Association (UAA)
- NCAA appearances: 20
- Last NCAA appearance: Reached NCAA Quarterfinal (2017)
- Notes: Last weekend, the Bears defeated Hope College 5-0 and No. 13-ranked Kenyon College 5-1 to secure the program's 12th-consecutive quarterfinals appearance … Washington-St. Louis finished third in the UAA and received an at-large bid … Senior Johnny Wu is ranked second in the ITA Central Region (18-9 record), while sophomore Bernardo Neves owns a 28-4 singles record … This season, the Bears are 10-8 against ranked opponents … Washington-St. Louis has a record of 44-23 in matches at the NCAA Tournament and won the national championship in 200 8… It is the program's 19th-straight tournament appearance.
#1 Middlebury College Panthers
- Season record: 22-4 / 7-1 New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC)
- NCAA appearances: 17
- Last NCAA appearance: Reached NCAA Semifinals (2017)
- Notes: Middlebury bested Wilkes and No. 24-ranked Johns Hopkins to reach the quarterfinals for the sixth year in-a-row … The team earned an at-large bid after falling to Bowdoin in the NESCAC Championship … Four Panthers boast top 25 rankings in the ITA Northeast Region … Middlebury has advanced to the NCAA Semifinals in 11 of the past 15 seasons and have won two national titles, most recently in 2010 … Middlebury has an overall record of 46-17 in tournament play … Junior Lubomir Cuba won the individual singles and doubles titles in 2017 alongside teammate William de Quant.
#20 Whitman College Blues
- Season record: 18-7 / 8-0 Northwest Conference (NWC)
- NCAA appearances: 15
- Last NCAA appearance: Reached NCAA Second Round (2017)
- Notes: Whitman advanced to the quarterfinals for the first time since 1988 with a dramatic 5-4 road upset of No. 6 Gustavus Adolphus College. Senior Zach Hewlin scored a wins at No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles against Mohanad Al-Houni … In the second round, the Blues dispatched No. 40-ranked Coe College … Whitman has won 11-straight Northwest Conference championships … Seniors Robert Carter and Hewlin form the top-ranked doubles pairing in the ITA West Region … Sophomore Ben Kirsch is currently ranked No. 11 in the West in singles… Of the Blues' seven losses, three came by 5-4 margins and another three came against Division I opponents.
#4 Williams College Ephs
- Season record: 15-4 / 6-1 New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC)
- NCAA appearances: 22
- Last NCAA appearance: Reached NCAA Quarterfinals (2017)
- Notes: Williams bested their archrivals, eight-ranked Amherst College, in the regional final … The Ephs received an at-large bid after losing to Middlebury College in the NESCAC semifinals. Williams had upset Middlebury 5-4 a month earlier … The squad features the top-ranked player in the ITA Northeast Region, senior captain Brian Grodecki … Grodecki and Austin Barr, playing in the No. 2 spot, both earned First Team All-NESCAC honors … Williams has won four national championships, with the last coming in 2013.
#2 Emory University Eagles
- Season record: 18-4 / 2-1 University Athletic Association (UAA)
- NCAA appearances: 32
- Last NCAA appearance: National Champions (2017)
- Notes: The Eagles are the defending national champions, having defeated Bowdoin, Williams, and Claremont-Mudd-Scripps to claim the team title last season … In this year's tournament, wins over Washington & Lee and No. 23-ranked North Carolina Wesleyan advanced the team from its regional … Emory earned an at-large bid after falling short in its attempt to win a fourth-consecutive UAA championship, losing to UChicago 7-2 … Junior Jonathan Jemison and first-year Hayden Cassone are ranked second and fourth, respectively, in the ITA Atlantic South Region … Emory has reached the national quarterfinals 27 times in the last 29 seasons, and have done so 21 times in-a-row … In addition to last year's victory, Emory has won three other national titles.