CHICAGO, Ill. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team kicked off the first round of the NCAA Division III Championships with a 5-0 win over Principia College on Wednesday.
The Maroons improved to 11-10 and will next take on Carleton College at 2 PM on Friday. The Panthers ended their season with an 11-11 record.
On a hot and sweaty afternoon, UChicago burned through Principia in doubles play and dropped only one game in three matches. The Maroons went on to handily win the first set in all six singles matches and then picked up wins at No. 4 and No. 5 singles. The competition ended at that point once the sufficient winning condition of five match victories was reached.
"I thought we played pretty well despite the tricky conditions with the wind and heat," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "At this point in the year, a win is all that matters and we got that to advance to the round of 32. We will need to be sharper and more focused as we take on a very tough Carleton team."
UChicago 5, Principia 0
1. Megan Tang (UC) vs. Carlie Sanderude (PC) 6-0, 5-3, unfinished
2. Tiffany Chen (UC) vs. Hanne Andersen (PC) 6-2, 2-1, unfinished
3. Kelsey McGillis (UC) vs. Kelly Adams (PC) 6-2, 3-0, unfinished
4. Helen Sdvizhkov (UC) def. AC McMullen (PC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) def. Lena Carlson (PC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Stephanie Lee (UC) vs. Caitlin Carney (PC) 6-0, 5-2, unfinished
1. Megan Tang/Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Carlie Sanderude/Hanne Andersen (PC) 8-1
2. Helen Sdvizhkov/Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) def. Kelly Adams/AC McMullen (PC) 8-0
3. Kelsey McGillis/Stephanie Lee (UC) def. Lily Richards/Nathalie DeLoach (PC) 8-0
- Friday, May 9 – Carleton College at UChicago (NCAA Second Round), 2 PM