CHICAGO, Ill. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team was engaged in a number of close contests and came up clutch when it counted to defeat Carleton College 5-2 in the second round of the NCAA Division III Championships on Friday.
The Maroons (12-10) advance to the regional championship, where they will compete against conference for Carnegie Mellon University at Noon on Saturday. The Knights ended their season at 19-3.
UChicago won easily at No. 2 and 3 doubles by scores of 8-3 and 8-2, respectively. However, Carleton got one point with a win at No. 1 doubles by an 8-5 margin.
Both teams turned up the competitive fire in singles play. Four matches went into third sets at spots No. 2 through 5. Junior Megan Tang won in straight sets at No. 1 while sophomore Stephanie Lee was victorious in two sets as well at No. 6. The Maroons led three of the four matches that went to a deciding third set, and freshman Tiffany Chen secured the clinching team point to end the contest. She knocked off her opponent at No. 2 with scores of 6-0, 4-6, 6-3.
"Today's match was truly exciting," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "We played in four three-setters and were never comfortable throughout the match. It was a good test for us and a chance for us to play in some pressure situations. We are happy to be in our sixth-consecutive Round of 16 and are looking forward to our rematch with Carnegie Mellon tomorrow."
UChicago 5, Carleton 2
1. Megan Tang (UC) def. Anne Lombardi (CAR) 6-4, 6-1
2. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Claire Spencer (CAR) 6-0, 4-6, 6-3
3. Mikayla Becich (CAR) def. Kelsey McGillis (UC) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
4. Helen Sdvizhkov (UC) vs. Molly Hemes (CAR) 3-6, 6-3, 5-4, unfinished
5. Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) vs. Joyce Yu (CAR) 4-6, 6-2, 4-0, unfinished
6. Stephanie Lee (UC) def. Katherine Greenberg (CAR) 6-4, 7-5
1. Joyce Yu/Anne Lombardi (CAR) def. Megan Tang/Tiffany Chen (UC) 8-5
2. Helen Sdvizhkov/Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) def. Grace Davis/Mikayla Becich (CAR) 8-3
3. Kelsey McGillis/Stephanie Lee (UC) def. Katherine Greenberg/Molly Hemes (CAR) 8-2
- Saturday, May 10 – Carnegie Mellon University at UChicago (NCAA Third Round), 12 PM