Carnegie Mellon tops UChicago women’s tennis 5-2 in regional final of NCAA Championships
CHICAGO, Ill. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team lost to Carnegie Mellon University 5-2 in the regional final of the NCAA Division III Championships on Saturday.
The Maroons wrapped up their season with a 12-11 record and reached the postseason round of 16 for the sixth-straight year. The Tartans improved to 19-4 and advanced to the NCAA quarterfinal round.
UChicago started well in doubles play, but CMU rallied back from deficits at No. 1 and No. 2 to come away with matching 8-6 wins. The No. 3 doubles tandem of junior Kelsey McGillis and sophomore Stephanie Lee triumphed in their match 8-4.
In singles, the Tartans went on to win at No. 2, No. 4 and No. 6 to clinch the match with five team points. McGillis gave UChicago its second victory of the day at No. 3 singles with a 6-4, 6-3 final.
"The ladies fought hard and gave everything they had but we fell just a little short," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "It literally came down to a few points in doubles and a couple in singles that made all the difference, and Carnegie was just a little better. We had a great year and I couldn't be any prouder of the ladies as they battled all year long. We have everyone returning and a great recruiting class coming in, so the future is very bright."
Carnegie Mellon 5, UChicago 2
1. Megan Tang (UC) vs. Angela Pratt (CMU) 6-4, 5-1, unfinished
2. Katie Cecil (CMU) def. Tiffany Chen (UC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Kelsey McGillis (UC) def. Nicholle Torres (CMU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Brooke Tsu (CMU) def. Helen Sdvizhkov (UC) 6-1, 7-5
5. Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) vs. Elizabeth Martin (CMU) 6-7, 1-0, unfinished
6. Bryn Raschke (CMU) def. Stephanie Lee (UC) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
1. Katie Cecil/Bryn Raschke (CMU) def. Megan Tang/Tiffany Chen (UC) 8-6
2. Nicholle Torres/Angela Pratt (CMU) def. Helen Sdvizhkov/Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) 8-6
3. Kelsey McGillis/Stephanie Lee (UC) def. Elizabeth Martin/Brooke Tsu (CMU) 8-4