MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – The University of Chicago women's tennis team saw its undefeated streak come to an end after losing to Pomona-Pitzer 6-3 in Saturday's semifinal of the ITA Division III National Team Indoor Championship.
The No. 10-ranked Maroons dropped to 8-1. The No. 6-ranked Sagehens improved to 6-1.
Doubles was a tight affair which could have gone either way. Second and third doubles went to extra points, with Pomona-Pitzer taking No. 2 by a 9-7 score and UChicago grabbing No. 3 by a matching 9-7 margin. Junior Ariana Iranpour and freshman Estefania Navarro combined for the win.
The Sagehens went ahead 3-1 early in singles play until Navarro earned a 6-4, 6-3 victory at No. 5. But Pomona-Pitzer took the three spots at the top of the lineup to secure the result. Freshman Alyssa Rudin went to a third-set super tiebreak and closed out the day with a 6-3, 6-7, 1-0 win.
"I really thought we came ready to play and competed extremely hard," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "Pomona played a little better in the big moments and that was the difference in the match. As we get more experience in big matches, I'm confident that we will learn what it takes to win the big points. We are already looking forward to playing against a UAA foe tomorrow and taking another step towards becoming a championship-caliber squad."
Pomona-Pitzer 6, UChicago 3
1. Caroline Casper (PP) def. Ariana Iranpour (UC) 6-3, 6-2
2. Maryann Zhao (PP) def. Marjorie Antohi (UC) 6-2, 2-6, 1-0
3. Mae Coyiuto (PP) def. Rachel Kim (UC) 6-4, 6-2
4. Arianna Chen (PP) def. Tiffany Chen (UC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Grace Hruska (PP) 6-4, 6-3
6. Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Emily Chen (PP) 6-3, 6-7, 1-0
1. Maryann Zhao/Emily Chen (PP) def. Marjorie Antohi/Rachel Kim (UC) 8-5
2. Caroline Casper/Arianna Chen (PP) def. Tiffany Chen/Alyssa Rudin (UC) 9-7
3. Ariana Iranpour/Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Grace Hruska/Yurie Heard (PP) 9-7
- Sunday, Mar. 5 @ 8:30 AM – UChicago vs. Washington University-St. Louis (at Murfreesboro, Tenn. / ITA Indoor Nationals)