ST. LOUIS, Mo. – In their third meeting of the season, the University of Chicago women's tennis team defeated Washington University-St. Louis once again with an 8-1 score on Sunday afternoon.
The No. 8-ranked Maroons improved to 14-3 going into next week's University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship. The No. 10-ranked Bears dropped to 10-8.
In their previous matchups this year, UChicago came out on top 5-2 and 5-4. The Maroons fell behind 2-1 after doubles the first two meetings. But on Sunday, UChicago flipped the script and charged to a 3-0 lead with big performances at all three doubles spots. The visitors swept by scores of 8-5, 8-5 and 8-3.
With doubles setting the tone, UChicago singles maintained their high level of play by capturing five of the six bouts. The second, fourth and fifth positions all went to three sets and the Maroons came out the victors on each occasion.
"This was a really big win for us for many reasons," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "First, it probably gives us the No. 2 seed at UAAs. Secondly, to go on the road and defeat a conference rival is never easy and it means a ton to our team and the program. Third, it only helps to reinforce the importance of grit and determination when it comes to our performance. Once again, the women handled disappointment and adversity very well and that made the difference today. Anytime it seems that we are being challenged, we are able to rise to the occasion and play our best. We know we will need even more of that as we head towards the postseason."
UChicago 8, Washington-St. Louis 1
1. Rebecca Ho (WUSTL) def. Ariana Iranpour (UC) 6-3, 6-4
2. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Grace Deering (WUSTL) 6-7 (4-7), 6-1, 10-5
3. Rachel Kim (UC) def. Brigitte Hodge (WUSTL) 6-4, 6-4
4. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Kaylan Griffith (WUSTL) 5-7, 6-3, 10-7
5. Estefania Navarro (UC) def. Sanjna Tripathy (WUSTL) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
6. Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Kate Lee (WUSTL) 6-0, 6-1
1. Marjorie Antohi/Rachel Kim (UC) def. Rebecca Ho/Kaylan Griffith (WUSTL) 8-5
2. Tiffany Chen/Alyssa Rudin (UC) def. Grace Deering/Lisa Chionis (WUSTL) 8-5
3. Ariana Iranpour/Courtney Warren (UC) def. Mindy Borovsky/Sanjna Tripathy (WUSTL) 8-3
- Thursday-Saturday, April 20-22 – UChicago at UAA Championship (at Altamonte Springs, Fla.)