- All clubs must have written University approval via the Director of Intramurals, Recreation and Sport Clubs BEFORE taking any plane trips.
- When a club's schedule has been completed, an officer must submit a written list of trips that will be taken during the school year. This list should including the following information: destination; date and time of departure; date and time of return; names and number of participants traveling; etc.
- A travel itinerary must be submitted to the Director of Intramurals, Recreation and Sport Clubs for approval for each trip.
- Failure to file for advance authorization may result in non-reimbursement of expenses (and also possible suspension of the club).
Required Travel Forms
A completed Acceptance of Risk waiver is required of all individuals prior to participation and travel. Additional forms – such as a travel itinerary, team roster, etc. – may also be required.
Clubs must file a travel itinerary and roster for every trip.
Provided that you collect sufficient documentation, the University will reimburse for Sport Club-related travel expenses. This can include both students traveling and invited guests/speakers traveling.
A Note on All Travel Expenses: The Travel Voucher and
The traveler will be required to sign a Travel Expense Voucher prepared by the Financial Operations Office. If the traveler you are seeking to reimburse is out of state they need to provide a memo that states:
1. The dates of travel
2. The destination of travel
3. The purpose of travel
4. That all expenses were for University business
5. That they live out of state and cannot sign the travel form
6. That they will not seek reimbursement from any other source
7. The amount to be reimbursed
If the individual seeking reimbursement is not same as the traveler, and the billing documentation does not show the name of the individual who is seeking reimbursement, a credit card statement will be required to verify that an individual other than the traveler paid for the expenses. Without this statement we cannot reimburse an individual other than the listed traveler.
The Process: Pay for and complete travel. You must collect a Passenger Receipt at the time of check-in in order to seek reimbursement.
What to submit: You will need to submit the names of all travelers, dates of travel, destination of travel, purpose of travel and one of the following options:
1. If the traveler paid: Original (non-emailed) airline passenger receipt showing dollar amount of purchase. This can be requested at the time of check-in.
2. If someone other than the traveler paid: Original (non-emailed) airline passenger receipt showing dollar amount of purchase and a credit card statement that shows the purchaser's name and the charge.
3. Emailed receipt/itinerary, boarding pass, and credit card statement to verify payment.
4. The traveler will be required to sign a Travel Expense Voucher prepared by the Financial Operations Office. If the traveler you are seeking to reimburse is out of state they can provide a travel memo in lieu of signing the form.
If all of the documentation to support one of these options is not submitted, reimbursement may not be possible.
Notes on Avoiding Travel Expense Pitfalls
- Travel Expenses should be submitted separately from other expenses.
- Food expenses incurred during a trip count as travel expenses.
- For air travel, request a passenger receipt while at the airport!
- All credit card statements to verify travel must show the individual's name.
- Do not pay for insurance on rental cars.
- Gas receipts should not be submitted for personal car trips.
- Airfare quotes from the University's travel agent are time sensitive. You must decide and respond ASAP if you expect quoted fares to be available at the time of booking.
- After your Expense Request Form has been processed by the Financial Office, you will be emailed to come in and sign a travel form. Your check cannot be requested until you have signed the form, so please try to visit the office in a timely manner.