In accordance with guidance from the Chicago Department of Public Health and UChicago Medicine, Athletics & Recreation has modified its building capacity and facility operations to ensure the health and safety of all visitors and building staff to minimize exposure and spread of the coronavirus.
At this time, we are pleased to announce that we will be expanding access to the Ratner Athletics Center to faculty, faculty emeriti and staff for Winter Quarter 2021.
We will offer complimentary memberships for faculty and staff for the month of January. Starting on February 1, 2021, monthly memberships will be available for a fee of $20.00/month. Advance membership registration is required in order to access the reservation system for use of Ratner facilities.
Please note that monthly memberships may be subject to temporary suspension if University, city, state, or national guidelines change.
At this time, we regret that we are unable to extend this expanded access to spouses, partners and children of faculty, faculty emeriti or staff or to members of the Hyde Park community. This restriction is in place to assure adequate access for students, faculty and staff members.
- Membership Link (Faculty & Staff)
- This completed form must be turned in to the Ratner Center Front Desk when arriving for your first workout.
* Faculty and staff must complete the online training and attestation process in order to access campus buildings including the Ratner Athletics Center. Please complete the process before making facility reservations - https://goforward.uchicago.edu/health-requirements/#training. Faculty and staff returning to campus must complete the 7-day "stay at home" period before using the facilities.
A special cardio and weight training area has been established in the auxiliary gymnasium that will provide equipment and training space for members.
Reservations must be made 24-72 hours in advance in order to access the swimming pool and cardio and weight training facilities. Due to restrictions on group play and the use of shared equipment, the competition gym and dance studio will not be available for use.
Locker room access is limited to members with swimming reservations and locker and towel service will not be available.
Please read the protocols that are in place to assure that all patrons are able to participate safely.
All policies and procedures for the Ratner Athletics Center can be found here:
For further information on how the University is handling COVID-19, please visit: https://coronavirusupdates.uchicago.edu/
The 50-meter by 25-yard pool includes up to 20 lanes in the 25-yard dimension and nine lanes in the 50-meter dimenson, and contains a moveable bulkhead which allows for simultaneous activities.
In addition, two one-meter diving boards are available. The two three-meter diving boards are restricted to varsity sport team use only. The pool depth ranges from four feet in the shallow section to 13.5 feet in the diving well.
Full Schedule and Pool Availability
Call (773) 702-3873 for updated weekly schedules and team practices.
45 minute reservation – 14 slots
- Please be mindful of maintaining distancing within and moving between locker room and pool areas.
- Avoid congregating near locker room doors, pool ladders, and lane lines.
- Masks must be worn at all times in the locker room and pool area unless showering or swimming.
- Please limit your time in the locker room to maintain low occupancy and adequate space for physical distancing.
- A shower is required before using the pool.
- Do not leave belongings in the locker room. All belongings must be brought to the pool deck.
- At the end of your session, please exit the locker rooms through the doors leading directly to the hallways.
- One person is allowed per each reserved lane.
- Use any open lane in your designated reserved lane group.
- Place your reservation card on the chair behind your lane.
- Please stay in the middle of the lane when stopping on the walls.
Family Swim (*CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE)
On certain days and times (see below), the "shallow section" and the "diving section" of the Myers-McLoraine Pool will be set aside for Family Swimming. This means that the "shallow section" lanes are to be designated for parents/guardians with children who do not wish to lap swim. Additionally, the two lanes directly underneath the diving boards will be available for the use of the diving boards. Pool admission and general rules are to be enforced. Children must be accompanied by a parent/guardian (see Pool Admission Requirements, pertaining to child to parent/guardian ratio, page 17) and all patrons who wish to enter the facility for Family Swim, including children, must be members of the Ratner Athletics Center or their officially registered guests. Spectators must sit in the balcony.
2021 Winter Pool Closures
|January 18||All Day||Building Closed/Holiday|