CHICAGO – At its annual banquet, University of Chicago football presented team awards and celebrated the 2017 season on Saturday, Jan. 20 at Assembly Hall. More than 200 people were in attendance for the dinner, which included a season highlight video, distribution of conference and team accolades, and closing comments from Head Coach Chris Wilkerson.
A total of 39 student-athletes were recognized for their presence on the 2017 University Athletic Association (UAA) Fall All-Academic Team. Criteria for the accolade include completion of one year at the respective institution while carrying a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.30. The Maroons were represented on the list by Trevor Anderson, Zach Atiyeh, Doug Barkauski, Sean Bloks, Cristen Bublitz, Grant Byrne, Will Capitani, Chandler Carroll, Peter Casey, Nate Chandler, Ben Christensen, Jameson Clay, Marco Cobian, Brandon Coll, Brian Collis, Grant Crum, Erik Dammen-Brower, Kris Dammen-Brower, Matt Galloway, Mike Hiestand, Henry Imburgia, Mike Kurzydlowski, Reid Martin, Mike McGinley, Caelan Meggs, Owen Moore, Harrison Paul, Connor Phelan, Roberto Rabines, Troy Reed, Jamie Rieger, Tim Rogus, Bill Rotnicki, Macalaster Schmidt, Shelby Spence, Drew Ventrelle, Henry Winebrake, Erik Wong and Matt Zimmerman.
Seven Maroons earned either UAA or Midwest Conference Athlete of the Week status during the course of the year. Senior running back Chandler Carroll earned three Offensive Athlete of the Week accolades versus Lawrence University on Oct. 7 (151 total yards and career-high four touchdowns); against Macalester College on Nov. 4 (249 rushing yards and one touchdown); and at Lake Forest College on Nov. 11 (236 rushing yards and two touchdowns). First-year cornerback Ryan Montgomery made 14 tackles and intercepted two passes on Sept. 9 at Washington University – St. Louis to earn Defensive Athlete of the Week. First-year defensive tackle Jackson Ross was the Defensive Athlete of the Week for his Sept. 23 game against Illinois College (seven tackles, two tackles for loss and one sack). Junior safety Jeremy Vincent garnered the Defensive Athlete of the Week honors with two interceptions and three tackles on Sept. 30 versus Cornell College. Sophomore defensive end Ben Christensen collected Defensive Athlete of the Week accolades for his Oct. 7 game against Lawrence University (11 tackles, three tackles for loss and one sack). Sophomore linebacker Zach Atiyeh received Defensive Athlete of the Week honors for his Nov. 4 game against Macalester (nine tackles and one sack). Junior kicker/punter Mike Kurzydlowski was the Special Teams Athlete of the Week on Nov. 6, converting all four field goal attempts and booting a 51-yard punt that pinned Macalester on its own one-yard line.
The 18-member senior class was also recognized collectively near the end of the ceremony. Over their four years in the program, the seniors won 24 games, which is the second-highest total for a class in the modern era, including a 2014 UAA Championship. Wilkerson concluded the evening by thanking the seniors for their hard work and contributions to the program over the past four years.
The football program would like to thank all of those who supported the banquet and helped make it possible.
2017 Individual Awards
COSIDA First Team Academic All-American
- Chandler Carroll (Running Back, Sr.)
COSIDA Academic All-District
- Chandler Carroll (Running Back, Sr.)
Midwest Conference Rookie of the Year (North Division)
- Jackson Ross (Defensive Tackle, Fr.)
- Doug Barkauski (Center, So.) – First Team
- Chandler Carroll (Running Back, Sr.) – First Team
- Peter Casey (Defensive End, Sr.) – First Team
- Tucker Squiers (Guard, Jr.) – First Team
- Jeremy Vincent (Safety, Jr.) – First Team
- Jamie Rieger (Wide Receiver, Sr.) – Second Team
- Ryan Montgomery (Cornerback, Fr.) – Second Team
- Jackson Ross (Defensive Tackle, Fr.) – Second Team
2017 Team Awards
- Offensive Rookie of the Year: Campbell Garrett (Quarterback, Fr.)
- Defensive Rookie of the Year: Ryan Montgomery (Cornerback, Fr.)
- The Big Man Award Offense: Tucker Squiers (Guard, Jr.)
- The Big Man Award Defense: Ben Christensen (Defensive End, So.) and Mike McGinley (Defensive Tackle, Jr.)
- Turnover Award: Ben Christensen (Defensive End, So.)
- Outstanding Defensive Player: Jackson Ross (Defensive Tackle, Fr.) and Jeremy Vincent (Safety, Jr.)
- Outstanding Offensive Player: Chandler Carroll (Running Back, Sr.)
- Special Teams MVP: Mike Kurzydlowski (Kicker/Punter, Jr.)
- Maroon Man: Floyd Pitts III (Running Back, Sr.)
- Team MVP: Chandler Carroll (Running Back, Sr.) and Peter Casey (Defensive End, Sr.)