CHICAGO – The University of Chicago football team hosted its annual banquet on Saturday, Jan. 18 at Assembly Hall, as team awards were announced for the 2019 season. With more than 200 people in attendance for the dinner, the festivities included a season highlight video, distribution of conference and team accolades, and closing comments from Head Coach Chris Wilkerson.
A total of 50 student-athletes were recognized for their inclusion on the 2019 University Athletic Association (UAA) All-Academic Team this fall. All-Academic Team recipients must have completed one year at their respective institution while carrying a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.30. The Maroons were represented on the list by Nathan Alexander, Zach Atiyeh, Doug Barkauski, Matt Beninati, Michael Bobak, Daniel Cho, Ben Christensen, Jameson Clay, Marco Cobian, Grant Crum, Kyle Cusick, Kris Dammen-Brower, John Deering, Daniel Ducic, Mark Eaton, Shea Elliott, Josh Godosky, Davis Govrik, Elliott Grays, Mike Hiestand, Caden Kalinowski, George Krantz, Yu Jay Kurosu, Mike Lawlor, Nick Low, Ross Martin, Philip Martini, Mike Martinson, Matt McCausland, John McCormick, Caelan Meggs, Ryan Montgomery, Oliver Morton, Matthew Nagler, Zack Olson, Harrison Paul, Connor Phelan, Matt Quaglia, Graham Repp, Makai Robinson, Tim Rogus, Jackson Ross, Bill Rotnicki, Will Seelman, Jack Surgeoner, Robert Thomas, Riley Trettel, Vittorio Tricase, Brian Uhler and Willoughby Urquhart.
Six Maroons received UAA or Midwest Conference Athlete of the Week status during the season. Junior running back Mike Martinson earned UAA Offensive Athlete of the Week accolades three times and UAA Special Teams Athlete of the Week one time. Senior quarterback Marco Cobian was selected UAA Offensive Athlete of the Week two times and MWC Offensive Player of the Week one time. Sophomore running back Nick D'Ambrose and junior running back Vittorio Tricase were picked as UAA and MWC Offensive Players of the Week one time each. Junior defensive tackle Jackson Ross and junior linebacker Graham Repp each nabbed UAA Defensive Athletes of the Week once during the season.
The 20-member senior class was also recognized collectively near the end of the ceremony. Over their time in the program, the seniors won 23 games, which is the second-highest total in a four-year period of the modern era. Wilkerson concluded the evening by thanking the seniors for their hard work and contributions to the program over the past four years.
The football program would like to thank all of those who supported the banquet and helped make it possible.
2019 Individual Awards
D3Football.com Third Team All-Region
- Doug Barkauski (Offensive Center, Sr.) – First Team
- Marco Cobian (Quarterback, Sr.) – First Team
- Mike Hiestand (Offensive Tackle, Sr.) – First Team
- Mike Martinson (Running Back and Return Specialist, Jr.) – First Team
- Ryan Montgomery (Cornerback, Jr.) – First Team
- Dante Nepa (Wide Receiver, Sr.) – First Team
- Jackson Ross (Defensive Tackle, Jr.) – First Team
- Henry Winebrake (Linebacker, Sr.) – First Team
- Ben Christensen (Defensive End, Sr.) – Second Team
- Bill Rotnicki (Safety, Sr.) – Second Team
2019 Team Awards
- Offensive Rookie of the Year: Frank Martin (Offensive Guard, Fr.)
- Defensive Rookie of the Year: Jason Heine (Safety, Fr.)
- The Big Man Award Offense: Mike Hiestand (Offensive Tackle, Sr.) and Doug Barkauski (Offensive Center, Sr.)
- The Big Man Award Defense: Ben Christensen (Defensive End, Sr.)
- Mayhem Award: Zach Atiyeh (Linebacker, Sr.)
- Outstanding Defensive Player: Henry Winebrake (Linebacker, Sr.) and Jackson Ross (Defensive Tackle, Jr.)
- Outstanding Offensive Player: Marco Cobian (Quarterback, Sr.)
- Special Teams MVP: Dylan Faires (Super Back, Jr.)
- Maroon Man: Kris Dammen-Brower (Defensive Tackle, Sr.) and Jacob Mooney (Offensive Guard, Sr.)
- Team MVP: Mike Martinson (Running Back/Return Specialist, Jr.)