MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Senior Matt Johnson (Ann Arbor, Mich./ Pioneer) tied a school record with eight 3-point field goals en route to a 37-point performance as the University of Chicago men's basketball team defeated Rhodes College 88-79 in the championship game of the Rhodes Christmas Invitational Sunday afternoon.
- Chicago (7-4) opened up a 43-25 lead at halftime.
- Rhodes (7-3) closed to within two points (65-63) with 6:37 left in the contest, but the Maroons put the game away with a 14-1 run over the next five minutes.
- Johnson's eight 3-point baskets tied the school record previously established by Jesse Meyer (2004-05) and Clint Patterson (1994-95).
- Sophomore Charlie Hughes (Perrysburg, Ohio/ Perrysburg) scored a career-high 13 points.
- Johnson led the Maroons with nine rebounds, while senior Michael Sustarsic (Liberty, Ind./ Union County) collected five assists.
- Andrew Galow paced the Lynx with 28 points. John Dunavant added 18.
- Johnson notched his second career 30-point effort. He tallied a career-high 39 a year ago against New York University.
- Chicago evened its all-time record against Rhodes at 1-1.
- Johnson extended his double-digit scoring streak to five games.
- Chicago tips off its 25th season of University Athletic Association competition Jan. 7 at Washington University in St. Louis.