CHICAGO -- Seniors Michael Sustarsic (Liberty, Ind./ Union County) and Matt Johnson (Ann Arbor, Mich./ Pioneer) combined to hit seven of the Maroons' 12 three-point baskets as the University of Chicago men's basketball team defeated Loras College 80-75 Saturday at the Ratner Athletics Center.
- Chicago (3-1) led 44-41 at halftime before Loras took its largest lead of the game, 59-53, with 11:34 to play.
- The Duhawks (1-3) held a 68-65 advantage at the 5:27 mark, but Chicago evened the score at 68-68 on a pair of free throws from senior Chase Davis (Mobile, Ala./ Murphy) with 4:02 to go.
- Johnson gave the Maroons the lead for good with a three-pointer at the 3:25 mark and added another trey with 1:21 left to put Chicago on top 76-70.
- Sustarsic (pictured) hit four of five 3-point attempts en route to a season-high 13-point performance. He also handed out a game-high four assists without committing a turnover.
- Johnson paced the Maroons with 16 points, while sophomore Sam Gage (Waterloo, Wis./ Waterloo) added a season-high 14 points and five rebounds off the bench.
- Loras' Jordan Harrelson led all scorers with 22 points on 8-of-8 shooting from the field. Dan Pawelski (14) and Connor Mooney (10) also netted double digits for the Duhawks.
- Chicago connected on 12 of 27 three-point attempts (44.4%) on the afternoon.
- Loras outshot the Maroons 54% to 43% from the field.
- Chicago's bench accounted for 34 of its 80 points.
- Chicago evened the all-time series at 2-2.
- Johnson scored in double figures for the fourth time in as many games.
- Chicago improved to 3-1 at the Ratner Center.
- The Maroons tallied 80 or more points for the third time in four games.
- Chicago wraps up its season-opening five-game homestand Sunday against Coe College. Tip-off is set for 4 p.m.