CLEVELAND -- Senior Matt Johnson (Ann Arbor, Mich./ Pioneer) scored a game-high 19 points and sophomore Sam Gage (Waterloo, Wis./ Waterloo) added 14 as the University of Chicago men's basketball team defeated Case Western Reserve University 85-66 in University Athletic Association action Sunday afternoon.
- Chicago (9-5 overall, 2-1 UAA) jumped out to an early 15-5 advantage and by halftime built a 42-28 edge.
- The Maroons led by as many as 19 points in the second half (50-31, 16:58) before Case (8-6, 0-3) trimmed the deficit to 10 (61-51) at the 6:28 mark.
- Chicago put the game away with a 12-4 run over the next three minutes.
- Freshman Alex Pyper (Scottsdale, Ariz./ Chaparral) scored 12 points to join Johnson (19) and Gage (14) in double digits.
- Austin Fowler led the Spartans with 17 points, while Jordan Dean (12) and Tom Summers (10) also finished in double figures.
- Chicago connected on 23 of 24 free throw attempts, including 8-of-8 in the game's final three minutes.
- Sophomore Derrick Davis (Saginaw, Mich./ Bridgeport) grabbed nine rebounds as the Maroons notched a 49-24 advantage on the boards.
- Chicago gained its first conference road weekend sweep since Jan. 22-24, 2010.
- Sunday's game wrapped up a six-game road swing, during which the Maroons went 4-2.
- Johnson tallied double digits for the eighth straight game.
- Senior Tom Williams (Cincinnati, Ohio/ St. Xavier) returned to the court after missing the previous seven games with an injury. He had six points and five rebounds in 20 minutes off the bench.
- The Maroons begin a four-game UAA homestand Friday against New York University. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m.