Feb 16, 2016
CHICAGO – The University of Chicago men's basketball team makes its final road trip of the regular season this weekend, facing New York University and Brandeis University.
UChicago at NYU
- DATE/TIME: Friday, February 19 at 8:00 PM (ET) – New York, N.Y.
- LINKS: Live Stats / Live Video
- SEASON RECORDS: UChicago 16-6 overall, 7-4 UAA / NYU 18-4 overall, 7-4 UAA
- ALL-TIME SERIES: UChicago leads 32-26
- LAST MEETING: UChicago won 69-58 (2016)
- UCHICAGO RECENT RESULTS: W 89-72 vs. Case (Feb. 14) / W 94-59 vs. Carnegie Mellon (Feb. 12)
- NYU RECENT RESULTS: L 75-63 at Rochester (Feb. 14) / W 73-56 at Emory (Feb. 12)
- UCHICAGO NOTES: On Sunday, UChicago beat Case Western Reserve University 89-72. Jordan Smith (Guard, Sr.) led all scorers with 22 points – his highest total at home this season – on 7-for-10 shooting. For the second-straight game, Jake Fenlon (Guard, So.) made five three pointers and totaled 15 points. Waller Perez (Forward, Jr.) did not play, snapping a streak of 46-straight games with the same starting five. Collin Barthel (Forward, So.) replaced Perez in the lineup to make his first career start … In the 94-59 win over Carnegie Mellon University the game before, Tyler Howard (Guard, Jr.) scored 20 points, and UChicago tied a school record with 17 made three pointers. The win was the Maroons' largest of the season … With 13 against Carnegie Mellon and 22 against Case, Smith moves into 12th place on the all-time UChicago scoring list with 1,121 career points. Smith is five points away from tying for 11th place on the list and six from tying 10th.
- NYU NOTES: NYU went 1-1 on the road against the top two UAA teams, handing Emory University its first home loss of the season before falling to University of Rochester. Emory and Rochester are tied for the top spot in the conference … In the 75-63 loss at the Yellowjackets, NYU's Evan Kupferberg (Forward, Sr.) recorded his 16th double-double of the season, scoring 19 points and grabbing 11 rebounds, and Costis Gontikas (Center, Sr.) scored 16 points; four players reached double-figures for Rochester, which held the Violets to 3-for-19 shooting from three … Kupferberg is first in the UAA in points (19.7), rebounding (11.0), and field-goal percentage (.631). He was named UAA Athlete of the Week on Monday … UChicago beat NYU 69-58 in the teams' last matchup. Smith and Perez scored 15 and 14 points, respectively, and Gontikas led the Violets with 19. The Maroons went on an early 21-2 run and led for the last 37 minutes.
UChicago at Brandeis
- DATE/TIME: Sunday, February 21 at 11:00 AM (ET) – Waltham, Mass.
- LINKS: Live Stats / Live Video
- SEASON RECORDS: UChicago 16-6 overall, 7-4 UAA / Brandeis 9-13 overall, 3-8 UAA
- ALL-TIME SERIES: UChicago leads 32-24
- LAST MEETING: UChicago won 65-50 (2016)
- BRANDEIS RECENT RESULTS: L 66-58 at Emory (Feb. 14) / L 71-54 at Rochester (Feb. 12)
- BRANDEIS NOTES: Brandeis lost its fourth game in-a-row on Sunday, falling 66-58 at Emory. Jordan Cooper (Forward, So.) led the Judges with 16 points, and Jack Fay (Guard, Jr.) scored 11 off the bench. Adam Gigax (Forward, So.) scored 22 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead the hosts … Cooper, who is averaging 15.2 points per game, and Robinson Vilmont (Guard, Jr.), who is averaging 14.6, have combined for 42.9 percent of the team's scoring this season … In the teams' last meeting, UChicago defeated Brandeis 65-50. It was the Maroons' best defensive performance in conference play this season. Cooper led the Judges with 11 points, and Barthel and Fenlon combined for 7 of 11 three-point shooting off the bench for the hosts.