Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
University of Chicago Department of Athletics & Recreation

Maroons men's soccer defeats Rochester 2-1

Kyle Kurfirst and Georgios Voulgaris
Kyle Kurfirst and Georgios Voulgaris

CHICAGO, Ill. -- The University of Chicago men's soccer team knocked off its third nationally-ranked opponent this season with a 2-1 victory over University of Rochester on Friday.

The Maroons (7-3-1 overall, 2-1-0 UAA) defeated Wheaton College, Carnegie Mellon University and Rochester while all three teams were ranked in the top 25. The Yellowjackets (9-2-1 overall, 2-1-0 UAA) came into the match with a No. 18 ranking.

Rochester dominated possession in the first half and created a multitude of offensive opportunities. The visitors went into halftime with a 10-3 edge in shots and a 5-2 edge in corner kicks. However, UChicago made the most of its chances to take a 1-0 lead at the half. Junior forward Kyle Kurfirst split the defense and scored in the 29th minute off an assist by junior midfielder Nick Codispoti.

The Yellowjackets almost got the equalizer in the 38th minute. An open shot in front was saved by sophomore goalie Brett Wiesen, the rebound bounced around in the box and the follow-up shot was blocked to preserve the lead.

Rochester eventually tied the game at the 67:03 mark of the second half. UChicago was whistled for a yellow card on a foul at the top right corner of the box, and Alex Swanger buried the ensuing free kick.

With about 11 minutes left in regulation, freshman forward Brenton-Neal Desai made a run to the left corner, worked back towards the edge of the box and centered a pass into space. Freshman defender Georgios Voulgaris streaked onto the ball and blasted an open one-timer inside the left post from 25 yards out to grab the 2-1 lead.

The Maroons held off a late Rochester charge to preserve the win. Wiesen (7-1-1) made two saves with one goal allowed in 90 minutes. The Yellowjackets led in total shots (18-8) and total corner kicks (9-2).