Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
University of Chicago Department of Athletics & Recreation

Maroons Score Three Unanswered; Brandt Delivers Winner in Double OT to Top Hope

Ben Brandt
Ben Brandt

HOLLAND, Mich. – In a wild affair on the road, the No. 7 University of Chicago men's soccer team erased a two-goal deficit by scoring three unanswered goals – including a tying score in the 89' – to best the Flying Dutchmen, 3-2 in double overtime Tuesday. 

It was junior Ben Brandt who connected on the game-winner in the 103,' as UChicago teammate Vicente Mateus slotted in a perfect ball to the sprinting Brandt on the right side, who beat the Hope keeper to his left to give the victory to the Maroons (2-0-2).

Equally exciting was the finish to regulation, with the Maroons holding offensive possession late. After several attempts to put the ball in were cleared by the Hope defense, the last clear found the foot of sophomore Kyle Ruark, who hustled to get to the loose ball, then crossed it to the front of the net to junior Scott Lich. Lich promptly beat the keeper and last Hope defender to tie the game at 2-all with 1:23 to play.

It was Hope (3-2) that set the tone early. With less than five minutes gone off the clock in the first half, a seemingly harmless free kick pass from Brett Dyer to midfield found the foot of Ryan Flynn, who took a surprising shot from about 35 yards out and connected, as the ball sailed just under the cross bar to give his team a 1-0 lead.

Only 33 seconds later, Hope made another run up the field, as Issac Braak sent a long ball up the right side to a sprinting Nic Kubert, who took advantage of a slip by Maroons' keeper Aaron Katsimpalis to give the Dutchmen a 2-0 lead.

But just before the half, it was UChicago sophomore Vicente Mateus who would steal the momentum for the Maroons heading into the break.

Mateus matched the stellar shot of Flynn with his own highlight-reel score, sending a screaming free kick from about 30 yards out that deflected off the hand of the Hope keeper, bounced off the cross bar and in with just 13 seconds left in the first half to cut the deficit to just one, 2-1. 

Katsimpalis didn't let in another goal in the final 97 minutes, finishing with six saves to keep the Maroons in the game late. 

UChicago out-shot Hope by a 16-11 margin, though both teams finished with eight on goal.



  • Friday, Sept. 13: Rowan at #7 UChicago, 7 PM CT