CLAREMONT, Calif. – Friday's showdown between a pair of top nationally-ranked teams went against the University of Chicago men's tennis team in a 7-2 loss at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps on Friday.
The No. 4-ranked Maroons dropped to 12-2 on the season, while the No. 2-ranked Stags improved to 13-2.
The home side came out strong and maintained the momentum for the rest of the day. CMS took all three doubles matches and four out of six singles. UChicago's victories came from sophomores David Liu and Luke Tsai. Liu won at No. 3 singles 6-1, 7-6 while Tsai won at No. 6 singles 6-2, 7-5.
"Credit goes to CMS for being the tougher team today," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "We competed hard but didn't take our opportunities when they presented themselves and that was the difference in the match. We had a good talk afterwards and we are ready to get back to work on the practice courts when we get back to Chicago."
CMS 7, UChicago 2
1. Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Nicolas Chua (UC) 6-2, 6-4
2. Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Charlie Pei (UC) 6-4, 6-4
3. David Liu (UC) def. Daniel Morkovine (CMS) 6-1, 7-6
4. Max Macey (CMS) def. Peter Leung (UC) 6-2, 4-6, 10-6
5. Lestter Yeh (CMS) def. Max Liu (UC) 6-4, 6-1
6. Luke Tsai (UC) def. Avinash Vemuri (CMS) 6-2, 7-5
1. Skyler Butts/Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Nicolas Chua/David Liu (UC) 8-6
2. Max Macey/Oliver Seifert (CMS) def. Charlie Pei/Peter Leung (UC) 8-5
3. Glenn Hull/Lestter Yeh (CMS) def. Luke Tsai/Bobby Bethke (UC) 9-8 (8-4)
- Friday, April 8 – Case Western Reserve University at UChicago, 3 PM