CLAREMONT, Calif. – The University of Chicago men's tennis team swept its opponent for the third-straight match, blanking Tufts University 9-0 on Tuesday.
The No. 5-ranked Maroons (12-1 record) have now defeated eight of the nine nationally-ranked opponents they've played this year. The No. 14-ranked Jumbos (3-1) absorbed their first loss.
UChicago jumped out to a 3-0 lead after doubles for the ninth time this season. The No. 1 doubles tandem of freshmen Ninan Kumar/Erik Kerrigan and the No. 2 doubles duo of senior Max Hawkins/freshman Tyler Raclin both won by matching 8-2 margins.
In singles action, the Maroons took all six first sets en route to four straight-set victories. They were stretched to three sets at No. 2 and No. 4, but sophomore Charlie Pei and Kerrigan closed strong to clinch. The junior trio of Nicolas Chua (No.1), Luke Tsai (No. 3) and Peter Leung (No. 6) all won with five or fewer total games surrendered.
"I think today was maybe one of our most comprehensive efforts from top to bottom that we've had all year," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "We came out fast in doubles and carried that momentum right through the start of singles. When we jump out to a lead in doubles, the other team feels a lot of pressure to play well because our lineup is tough and deep. We will need to take another step forward the rest of the weekend and continue improving if we are going to be successful against two very good teams."
UChicago 9, Tufts 0
1. Nicolas Chua (UC) def. Rohan Gupte (TUF) 6-2, 6-1
2. Charlie Pei (UC) def. Zain Ali (TUF) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
3. Luke Tsai (UC) def. Danny Coran (TUF) 6-2, 6-3
4. Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Zach Shaff (TUF) 6-2, 4-6, 6-0
5. Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Nathan Niemiec (TUF) 6-3, 6-3
6. Peter Leung (UC) def. Kevin Kelly (TUF) 6-2, 6-3
1. Ninan Kumar/Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Rohan Gupte/Griffin Brockman (TUF) 8-2
2. Max Hawkins/Tyler Raclin (UC) def. Zach Shaff/Ben Battle (TUF) 8-2
3. Charlie Pei/Bobby Bethke (UC) def. Zain Ali/Benjamin Biswas (TUF) 8-5
- Thursday, March 23 @ 4:00 PM (PT) – UChicago at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps