CLAREMONT, Calif. – The University of Chicago men's tennis team shook off a Thursday evening loss by securing a crucial 6-3 win against Williams College on Friday.
The No. 5-ranked Maroons improved to 13-2 overall, including 9-2 against nationally-ranked opponents. The No. 13-ranked Ephs (6-1 record) were dealt their first loss of the season.
In its final match of the spring break trip to California, UChicago seized two out of the three doubles points. Senior Max Hawkins and freshman Tyler Raclin won handily 8-4 at the No. 2 spot. Sophomore Charlie Pei and junior Bobby Bethke withstood a big rally by Williams to take the 9-8 win at No. 3.
When singles play rolled around, the Maroons nabbed the first sets in all four of the matches they ended up winning. The straight-set victors included junior Nicolas Chua at No. 1, freshmen Erik Kerrigan and Ninan Kumar at No. 4 and 5, and junior Peter Leung at No. 6.
UChicago 6, Williams 3
1. Nicolas Chua (UC) def. Rohan Shastri (WILL) 7-6, 7-5
2. Brian Grodecki (WILL) def. Charlie Pei (UC) 3-6, 7-6, 6-3
3. Sachin Raghavan (WILL) def. Luke Tsai (UC) 6-2, 6-1
4. Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Deepak Indrakanti (WILL) 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
5. Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Alex Taylor (WILL) 6-3, 6-2
6. Peter Leung (UC) def. Ananth Raghavan (WILL) 6-4, 7-6
1. Brian Grodecki/Alex Taylor (WILL) def. Ninan Kumar/Erik Kerrigan (UC) 8-5
2. Max Hawkins/Tyler Raclin (UC) def. Jordan Sadowsky/Rohan Shastri (WILL) 8-4
3. Charlie Pei/Bobby Bethke (UC) def. Benjamin Lebowitz/Sachin Raghavan (WILL) 9-8 (7-4)
- Sunday, April 9 @ 10:00 AM – UChicago vs. Gustavus Adolphus (at West Bend, Wis.)