ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. – The University of Chicago men's tennis team cruised to an 8-1 win against New York University in the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship quarterfinals on Friday morning.
The No. 5-ranked Maroons (16-3 record) will next play No. 6-ranked Washington University-St. Louis in the UAA semifinals on Saturday afternoon. The No. 31-ranked Violets dropped to 9-3.
UChicago entered the weekend tournament as the No. 3 seed while NYU was the No. 6 seed in the eight-team field. The Maroons made their presence felt right away by sweeping all three doubles matches. The No. 1 doubles team of freshmen Ninan Kumar and Erik Kerrigan triumphed 8-2. The No. 2 duo of senior Max Hawkins and freshman Tyler Raclin won 8-5 and the No. 3 tandem of sophomore Charlie Pei and junior Bobby Bethke came away with an 8-3 victory.
In singles action, UChicago kept the pressure on and clinched five of the six match-ups in straight sets. Junior Luke Tsai only surrendered one game at No. 4 with winning scores of 6-0, 6-1. Kerrigan nearly equaled him at the second spot 6-1, 6-1. Pei, junior Peter Leung and sophomore Jonathan Li also picked up victories on the day.
UChicago 8, NYU 1
1. Umberto Setter (NYU) def. Nicolas Chua (UC) 6-7 (6-8), 6-4, 10-3
2. Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Benedict Teoh (NYU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Charlie Pei (UC) def. Michael Li (NYU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Luke Tsai (UC) def. Matt DeMichiel (NYU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Peter Leung (UC) def. Vishal Walia (NYU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Jonathan Li (UC) def. Xavier Pacthod (NYU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Ninan Kumar/Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Umberto Setter/Samuel Khoshbin (NYU) 8-2
2. Tyler Raclin/Max Hawkins (UC) def. Michael Li/Benedict Teoh (NYU) 8-5
3. Charlie Pei/Bobby Bethke (UC) def. Matt DeMichiel/Zeb Zheng (NYU) 8-3
- Saturday, April 22 @ 2:00 PM (ET) – UChicago vs. Washington-St. Louis (at UAA Championship)