POMONA, Calif. – The fifth-ranked University of Chicago men's tennis team used an opening doubles sweep to propel the Maroons to a key 6-3 road win at No. 14 Pomona-Pitzer Monday.
The duos of Ninan Kumar and Nicolas Chua (No. 1), Abhin Sharma and Tyler Raclin (No. 2) and Charlie Pei and Bobby Bethke (No. 3) all captured wins to kick-start the team's first of three important dual matches against ranked opponents.
"I thought the guys showed a ton of toughness and grit in the win today," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "Pomona is a tough place to play and we haven't had a ton of luck here in the past so to come out here and get a win, short-handed no less, was great to see.
"The sweep in doubles was key and helped us play with more confidence in singles which we needed for our first outdoor match of the year."
Senior Luke Tsai continued his stellar play, as he recorded his 17-straight singles win and 19th overall in a straight-set victory at No. 2 singles, and teammates Jeremy Yuan (No. 3 singles) and Peter Leung (No. 6 singles) joined him with straight-set wins.
The Maroons take two days off before returning to action against No. 2 Bowdoin Thursday in Palm Springs, followed by a matchup with No. 11 Williams Friday in Claremont to conclude Spring Break play.
- Wednesday, March 21: #6 UChicago vs. #2 Bowdoin, 1:30 PM PT (Palm Springs, Calif.)
#5 UCHICAGO 6, #14 POMONA-PITZER 3
1. Jed Kronenberg (PP) def. Nicolas Chua, 6-1, 6-0.
2. Luke Tsai (UC) def. Octave Bellet De Giacomoni, 6-2, 6-1.
3. Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Josh Gearou, 6-2, 6-1.
4. Marko Mandic (PP) def. Charlie Pei, 6-2, 6-3.
5. Sam Malech (PP) def. Abhin Sharma, 6-3, 7-5.
6. Peter Leung (UC) def. Jacob Schoenherr, 6-3, 6-4.
1. Ninan Kumar/Nicolas Chua (UC) def. Jed Kronenberg/Kalyan Chadalavada, 8-5.
2. Abhin Sharma/Tyler Raclin (UC) def. Octave Bellet De Giacomini/Avery Bicks, 8-2.
3. Charlie Pei/Bobby Bethke (UC) def. Quinn Hirsohn/Marko Mandic, 8-7 (4).