VALPARAISO, Ind. – In the final tune-up before the conference championships, the University of Chicago men's tennis team lost a narrow 4-3 decision to NCAA Division I opponent Valparaiso University on Saturday.
The No. 3-ranked Maroons moved to 13-4, while the Crusaders improved to 8-11.
Using Division I scoring rules, host Valparaiso grabbed the doubles point by winning two of three doubles matches. Sophomores Erik Kerrigan and Ninan Kumar combined to seize the No. 1 spot 6-3. The two teams then split singles down the middle with three victories apiece. Kerrigan put up the most impressive win of the day at No. 1 by scores of 6-7, 6-4, 7-5. The Maroons also grabbed two matches at No. 5 with junior Charlie Pei and No. 6 with senior Peter Leung. Four of the six singles matches went the full three sets.
"Even though we didn't get the win, I was very happy with the way we competed as a team," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "Valpo has won their conference the past two years and is a team that knows how to win, yet we weren't intimidated. We showed a ton of fight and grit and are right where we want to be heading into postseason play. We will work hard the next few days to get our doubles straightened out and hopefully be peaking at the right time."
Valparaiso 4, UChicago 3
1. Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Chad Kissell (VALPO) 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 7-5
2. Kweisi Kenyatte (VALPO) def. Nicolas Chua (UC) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
3. Brandon Ancona (VALPO) def. Luke Tsai (UC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
4. Garrett Gardner (VALPO) def. Yuan, Jeremy (UC) 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
5. Charlie Pei (UC) def. Gabriel Carvajal (VALPO) 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
6. Peter Leung (UC) def. Daniel Langston (VALPO) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
1. Ninan Kumar/Kerrigan (UC) def. Garrett Gardner/Kweisi Kenyatte (VALPO) 6-3
2. Chad Kissell/Brandon Ancona (VALPO) def. Yuan/Chua (UC) 6-2
3. Brian Pecyna/Daniel Langston (VALPO) def. Tyler Raclin/Bobby Bethke (UC) 6-3
- Thursday-Saturday, Apr. 26-28 – UChicago at UAA Championships (Altamonte Springs, Fla.)