Altamonte Springs, Fla. – The University of Chicago men's tennis team kicked off the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship with an efficient 9-0 victory against New York University on Thursday morning.
The Maroons (14-4 record) came into the three-day tournament as the No. 2 seed in the eight-team bracket. The Violets (5-8) were the seventh seed.
UChicago made quick work of doubles, sweeping through by scores of 8-3, 8-2 and 8-4. When singles play arrived, junior Charlie Pei rolled through his No. 5 match with dominating scores of 6-1, 6-2. The clinching team point came courtesy of senior Nicolas Chua, who cruised to a 6-3, 6-0 at the No. 2 spot.
Right afterwards, senior Peter Leung finished off his No. 6 opponent 6-3, 6-4. Straight-set wins from first-year Jeremy Yuan at No. 4 and senior Luke Tsai at No. 2 pushed the score to 8-0. The No. 1 singles bout was the last on the court and went to a third-set super tiebreak. Sophomore Erik Kerrigan pulled it out 12-10 to secure the team shutout – the sixth time this year that the Maroons have not dropped a match.
UChicago 9, NYU 0
1. Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Umberto Setter (NYU) 1-6, 7-6 (7-4), 12-10
2. Nicolas Chua (UC) def. Rahul Das (NYU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Luke Tsai (UC) def. Vishal Walia (NYU) 7-5, 6-0
4. Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Michael Li (NYU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Charlie Pei (UC) def. Stefan Rodic (NYU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Peter Leung (UC) def. Yanick Parsch (NYU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Erik Kerrigan/Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Umberto Setter/Zeb Zheng (NYU) 8-3
2. Tyler Raclin/Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Michael Li/Benedict Teoh (NYU) 8-2
3. Nicolas Chua/Bobby Bethke (UC) def. Rahul Das/Vishal Walia (NYU) 8-4
- Friday, April 27 @ 2:00 PM (ET) – UChicago vs. Carnegie Mellon University (at Altamonte Springs, Fla.)