Altamonte Springs, Fla. – The University of Chicago men's tennis team rode early doubles momentum into singles play and secured a convincing 8-1 victory over Carnegie Mellon University in the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship semifinals on Friday afternoon.
The No. 2-seed Maroons (15-4 record) advanced to the UAA title match for the first time ever in program history. They will take on top-seed Emory University at 9:00 AM (ET) on Saturday – the winner will receive the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA Division III Championship.
It all started at doubles. UChicago would not be denied and imposed its will to secure all three matches 8-4, 8-6 and 8-5. The sweep meant that the Maroons would need to win just two of the six singles matches to progress in the UAA bracket.
CMU snagged the No. 1 position, but that would be all the Tartans would get. Senior Luke Tsai brought UChicago to the edge with an efficient 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 3 singles. Fellow senior Peter Leung officially clinched it shortly afterwards at No. 6 with a 6-2, 6-2 victory.
The Maroons kept rolling from there. Junior Charlie Pei was the next one done at the No. 5 spot (6-4, 6-4), followed by first-year Jeremy Yuan at No. 4 (6-3, 7-6). Senior Nicolas Chua accounted for the final score in three sets 6-1, 0-6, 6-4 at the No. 2 position.
UChicago 8, Carnegie Mellon 1
1. Daniel Levine (CMU) def. Erik Kerrigan (UC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Nicolas Chua (UC) def. Chaz Downing (CMU) 6-1, 0-6, 6-4
3. Luke Tsai (UC) def. Ray Boppana (CMU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Kailas Shekar (CMU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Charlie Pei (UC) def. Robert Levin (CMU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Peter Leung (UC) def. Ben Ash (CMU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Erik Kerrigan/Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Daniel Levine/Chaz Downing (CMU) 8-4
2. Tyler Raclin/Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Ray Boppana/Jeffrey Chen (CMU) 8-6
3. Nicolas Chua/Bobby Bethke (UC) def. Ben Ash/Nicholas Calzolano (CMU) 8-5
- Saturday, April 28 @ 9:00 AM (ET) – UChicago vs. Emory University (at Altamonte Springs, Fla.)