ST. LOUIS, Mo. – The University of Chicago men's tennis team kicked into high gear on Friday and put together one of its best-ever starts at the first day of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Central Region Championships.
All told, the Maroons went 30-1 overall through two rounds of singles and two rounds of doubles. UChicago dropped only one singles match on the day to go 20-1 and was pushed to three sets on one other occasion. All 10 doubles matches ended in the victory column.
Nine Maroons advanced to the singles Round of 32 – junior Erik Kerrigan, sophomore Jeremy Yuan, first-year Shramay Dhawan, first-year Joshua Xu, sophomore Alejandro Rodriguez, senior Charlie Pei, first-year Alex Guzhva, junior Ninan Kumar and junior Tyler Raclin. First-year Arthur Chau went 1-0 in the UTR bracket and sophomore Justin Lee is alive in the consolation draw.
The five doubles pairings remain in contention among the final 16, including top-seeds and defending champions Raclin and Yuan, alongside Kerrigan/Kumar, Pei/Xu, Dhawan/Lee and Guzhva/Rodriguez.
Singles (Round of 128 and Round of 64)
- No. 3-seed Erik Kerrigan: Won vs. Kenyon 6-1, 6-0; Won vs. Denison 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
- No. 7-seed Jeremy Yuan: Won vs. Elmhurst 6-2, 6-1; Won vs. DePauw 6-1, 6-2
- No. 16-seed Shramay Dhawan: Won vs. DePauw 6-4, 6-1; Won vs. WashU 6-3, 6-2
- No. 20-seed Joshua Xu: Won vs. Wabash 6-3, 6-2; Won vs. Greenville 6-0, 6-0
- No. 22-seed Alejandro Rodriguez: Won vs. Hanover 6-1, 6-3; Won vs. DePauw 6-4, 6-3
- No. 29-seed Charlie Pei: Won vs. Case Western Reserve 6-3, 6-2; Won vs. Ohio Wesleyan 6-0, 6-0
- Alex Guzhva: Won vs. WashU 5-7, 6-2, 6-0; Won vs. Case Western Reserve 6-2, 6-3
- Ninan Kumar: Won vs. Wooster 6-1, 6-2; Won vs. Wheaton 6-2, 6-4
- Tyler Raclin: Won vs. Denison 7-5, 6-3; Won vs. Case Western Reserve 6-3, 6-2
- Arthur Chau: Won vs. Augustana 6-0, 6-2
- Justin Lee: Lost vs. WashU 7-5, 6-0; Won vs. Wabash 6-1, 6-2
Doubles (Round of 64 and Round of 32)
- No. 1-seed Tyler Raclin/Jeremy Yuan: Won vs. Trine 8-2; Won vs. Denison 8-2
- No. 7-seed Erik Kerrigan/Ninan Kumar: Won vs. Case Western Reserve 8-3; Won vs. Wooster 8-4
- No. 12-seed Charlie Pei/Joshua Xu: Won vs. Elmhurst 8-2; Won vs. Rose-Hulman 8-4
- Shramay Dhawan/Justin Lee: Won vs. Kalamazoo 8-5; Won vs. Kenyon 9-8
- Alex Guzhva/Alejandro Rodriguez: Won vs. Ohio Wesleyan 8-2; Won vs. Kenyon 8-5
- Saturday-Sunday, Sept. 29-30 @ 8:00 AM – UChicago at ITA Central Region Championships (at St. Louis, Mo.)