ST. LOUIS, Mo. – The University of Chicago men's tennis team assured itself three spots in the singles and doubles finals of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Central Region Championships at the conclusion of Sunday's action.
Singles play was featured in the morning session, with four Maroons among the eight quarterfinalists. Defending ITA singles champion No. 7-seed Jeremy Yuan clinched a spot in the final once again after winning both his matches. He took down the No. 2-seed from Washington University – St. Louis by scores of 6-4, 6-1. Then in the semifinals, he rallied past teammate Alejandro Rodriguez 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Yuan will next face No. 8-seed Ethan Hillis (Washington – St. Louis) in the ITA singles final on Monday at 10:00 AM.
In doubles, UChicago accounted for three of the four remaining pairings. First up was an all Maroon semifinal with No. 7-seeds Erik Kerrigan/Ninan Kumar taking on No. 12-seeds Charlie Pei/Joshua Xu. The team of Pei and Xu came away with an 8-3 victory. The other semifinal saw defending ITA champions and No. 1-seeds Tyler Raclin/Jeremy Yuan beat Case Western Reserve University by an 8-3 margin.
The wins assured a fifth-straight ITA doubles title for the Maroons. The championship match will occur on UChicago's campus on Wednesday, Oct. 3 at 2:00 PM.
Singles (Quarterfinals and Semifinals)
- No. 7-seed Jeremy Yuan: Won vs. WashU 6-4, 6-1; Won vs. UChicago 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
- No. 22-seed Alejandro Rodriguez: Won vs. Kenyon 6-2, 6-2; Lost vs. UChicago 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
- No. 20-seed Joshua Xu: Lost vs. WashU 6-3, 6-3
- Alex Guzhva: Lost vs. Kenyon 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Arthur Chau (UTR Draw): Lost vs. WashU 7-5, 6-4
- No. 1-seed Tyler Raclin/Jeremy Yuan: Won vs. Case Western Reserve 8-3
- No. 12-seed Charlie Pei/Joshua Xu: Won vs. UChicago 8-3
- No. 7-seed Erik Kerrigan/Ninan Kumar: Lost vs. UChicago 8-3
- Monday, Oct. 1 @ 10:00 AM – UChicago at ITA Central Region Singles Championship (at St. Louis, Mo.)
- Wednesday, Oct. 3 @ 2:00 PM – ITA Central Region Doubles Championship at UChicago