CHICAGO – The University of Chicago men's and women's tennis teams began February with a pair of victories over visiting Hope College on Saturday afternoon by scores of 9-0 and 6-3, respectively.
The No. 3-ranked Maroon men and the No. 10-ranked Maroon women both improved to 2-0 on the season.
UChicago's men made quick work of the Flying Dutch, shutting them out for the third-straight year. None of the three doubles matches were closer than five games, and Hope pushed No. 2 singles to three sets before falling. The day's multi winners in singles and doubles were junior Erik Kerrigan, sophomore Jeremy Yuan and senior Charlie Pei.
The women's side was a much closer affair. Hope earned wins at No. 1 doubles and No. 2 and 3 singles as the score was tied at 3-3. But junior Marjorie Antohi picked up a No. 1 singles win in response, followed by three-straight from the fourth through sixth spots. Multiple winners included first-years Eugenia Lee, Annika Pandey and Alexandra Zhang.
"The women were really tested today and were fortunate to come out with a win," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "Marjorie stepped up and got us a crucial win at No. 1 singles when we really needed it with the score tied 3-3, which allowed everyone to relax just a bit. We might be the youngest team in the country so it was great for us to deal with some pressure and put a match away.
"The men took control early and never let up, which is what we wanted to see from a veteran group," Tee continued. "We still have some work to do in terms of developing an identity, but I'm confident that we will get there eventually. There's not much time to rest and enjoy this one as we have a very tough team in Kalamazoo coming to Chicago tomorrow morning and we know we will get their best shot."
MEN: UChicago 9, Hope 0
1. Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Mark VanderStoep (HOPE), 6-4, 6-2
2. Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Tim Roe (HOPE), 4-6, 6-2, 10-6
3. Shramay Dhawan (UC) def. Michael Kiley (HOPE), 6-2, 7-5
4. Charlie Pei (UC) def. Danny Kroeze (HOPE), 6-0, 6-2
5. Alejandro Rodriguez (UC) def. Alec Berrodin (HOPE), 6-3, 6-0
6. Alex Guzhva (UC) def. Justin Folkert (HOPE), 6-1, 6-1
1. Tyler Raclin/Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Mark VanderStoep/Danny Kroeze (HOPE), 8-2
2. Erik Kerrigan/Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Tim Roe/Michael Kiley (HOPE), 8-3
3. Charlie Pei/Joshua Xu (UC) def. David Bacon/Justin Folkert (HOPE), 8-1
WOMEN: UChicago 6, Hope 3
1. Marjorie Antohi (UC) def. Claire Hallock (HOPE) 6-4, 6-3
2. Amanda Bandrowski (HOPE) def. Lauren Park (UC), 6-3, 6-3
3. Sydney Jackson (HOPE) def. Catherine Xu (UC) 6-4, 6-4
4. Eugenia Lee (UC) def. Taylor LaBarge (HOPE) 6-1, 6-0
5. Annika Pandey (UC) def. Bailey Chorney (HOPE) 6-1, 6-3
6. Alexandra Zhang (UC) def. Erin LaBarge (HOPE) 6-4, 6-0
1. Claire Hallock/Amanda Bandrowski (HOPE) def. Marjorie Antohi/Lauren Park (UC) 8-4
2. Catherine Xu/Eugenia Lee (UC) def. Taylor LaBarge/Sydney Jackson (HOPE) 8-0
3. Annika Pandey/Alexandra Zhang (UC) def. Bailey Chorney/Erin LaBarge (HOPE) 8-6
- MEN: Sunday, Feb. 3 @ 9:00 AM – Kalamazoo College at UChicago
- WOMEN: Friday, Feb. 8 @ 5:00 PM (ET) – UChicago at DePauw University