CHICAGO – University of Chicago men's tennis won its second match in as many days, topping Kalamazoo College by a 7-2 margin on Sunday.
The No. 3-ranked Maroons improved their record to 3-0. The No. 25-ranked Hornets dipped to 1-1.
Doubles got UChicago off on the right foot once again with a 3-0 sweep. The No. 1 (Tyler Raclin/Jeremy Yuan) and No. 2 (Erik Kerrigan/Ninan Kumar) positions each triumphed by matching 8-4 margins. The No. 3 doubles was competitive until the end, with Charlie Pei and Joshua Xu squeezing out the 8-7 victory.
Four of the six singles bouts went in favor of the home team. Both three set matches were won by Kalamazoo, while the Maroons finished off their four wins in straight sets. Singles winners included Yuan at No. 2, Pei at No. 4, Alejandro Rodriguez at No. 5 and Alex Guzhva at No. 6.
"We did a great job of bringing great energy to start doubles, especially Tyler and Jeremy," said Head Coach Jay Tee. "We were able to jump out to a quick start and ride it into singles, which we needed because Kalamazoo is a tough team that came ready to compete. I think we are making progress each match we play, which is good to see because our schedule only gets tougher from here on out."
UChicago 7, Kalamazoo 2
1. Ian Yi (KZOO) def. Erik Kerrigan (UC), 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
2. Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Daniel Henry (KZOO), 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
3. Tytus Metzler (KZOO) def. Shramay Dhawan (UC), 2-6, 7-5, 10-5
4. Charlie Pei (UC) def. Allen Vinson (KZOO), 6-1, 6-3
5. Alejandro Rodriguez (UC) def. Alex Cadigan (KZOO), 6-2, 6-3
6. Alex Guzhva (UC) def. Zack Ray (KZOO), 7-6 (7-0), 6-0
1. Tyler Raclin/Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Ian Yi/Daniel Henry (KZOO), 8-4
2. Erik Kerrigan/Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Allen Vinson/Zack Ray (KZOO), 8-4
3. Charlie Pei/Joshua Xu (UC) def. Alex Cadigan/Tytus Metzler (KZOO), 8-7
- Friday, Feb. 8 @ 5:00 PM (ET) – UChicago at DePauw University