CLEVELAND – The University of Chicago men's tennis team faced a familiar foe in Saturday's semifinal round of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Division III Indoor Championship. The Maroons took on conference rival Washington University – St. Louis and emerged with a 5-4 victory.
The No. 3-ranked Maroons ran their perfect record to 8-0. The No. 9-ranked Bears fell to 4-3.
UChicago continued its doubles dominance by taking two of three spots. Junior Tyler Raclin and sophomore Jeremy Yuan cruised to an 8-3 win at No. 1, while senior Charlie Pei and first-year Joshua Xu served out an 8-5 victory at No. 3.
In singles play, WashU took the top two spots to tie the match up at 3-3. Pei delivered the win at No. 3 singles 6-3, 6-3. Xu made quick work of his No. 6 opponent next (6-2, 6-2) to put UChicago on the brink. The remaining two matches went three sets, and first-year Alex Guzhva commanded the final two sets at No. 5 to clinch the team win (4-6, 6-2, 6-1).
Top-seeded UChicago will next face its third-straight University Athletic Association adversary for Sunday's final at Noon (ET) when the team matches up with second-seeded Emory University.
UChicago 5, Washington-St. Louis 4
1. Ethan Hillis (WU) def. Erik Kerrigan (UC) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
2. Bernardo Neves (WU) def. Jeremy Yuan (UC) 6-4, 6-2
3. Charlie Pei (UC) def. Daniel Li (WU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Ben van der Sman (WU) def. Alejandro Rodriguez (UC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
5. Alex Guzhva (UC) def. JJ Kroot (WU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Joshua Xu (UC) def. Luke McClelland (WU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Tyler Raclin/Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Konrad Kozlowski/Luke McClelland (WU) 8-3
2. San Komis/Ben van der Sman (WU) def. Erik Kerrigan/Ninan Kumar (UC) 8-1
3. Charlie Pei/Joshua Xu (UC) def. Ethan Hillis/Bernardo Neves (WU) 8-5
- Sunday, Feb. 24 @ 12:00 PM (ET) – UChicago vs. Emory University (at Cleveland, Ohio)