CHICAGO – The University of Chicago men's tennis team took on a local foe Thursday night in the form of the Illinois Institute of Technology. The No. 1-ranked Maroons improved their season record to 12-1 after sweeping the Scarlet Hawks by a 9-0 margin.
Playing indoors at XS Tennis, UChicago raced away to a quick 3-0 lead after doubles. Senior Max Liu saw his first doubles action of the season playing alongside sophomore Jeremy Yuan at No. 2, and the duo ran away with an 8-2 win. Juniors Eric Kerrigan and Ninan Kumar took the No. 1 match 8-4, while senior Charlie Pei and first-year Joshua Xu emerged with an 8-6 victory at No. 3.
Singles featured six wins in straight sets. First-year Shramay Dhawan, sophomore Alejandro Rodriguez and Yuan all held their opponents to three total games or fewer. Kerrigan, Xu and first-year Alex Guzhva also picked up individual victories.
UChicago 9, Illinois Tech 0
1. Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Pol de Santiago (IIT) 6-2, 6-4
2. Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Yousef Abdo (IIT) 6-2, 6-1
3. Joshua Xu (UC) def. Franklin Zhong (IIT) 6-4, 7-5
4. Alejandro Rodriguez (UC) def. Davis Housman (IIT) 6-1, 6-2
5. Alex Guzhva (UC) def. Adam Laitinen (IIT) 6-4, 6-0
6. Shramay Dhawan (UC) def. Mohammed Shamel (IIT) 6-1, 6-1
1. Erik Kerrigan/Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Pol de Santiago/Franklin Zhong (IIT) 8-4
2. Max Liu/Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Yousef Abdo/Mohammed Shamel (IIT) 8-2
3. Charlie Pei/Joshua Xu (UC) def. Brody Croonquist/Davis Housman (IIT) 8-6
- Wednesday, April 10 @ 4:00 PM – Augustana College at UChicago