FLOSSMOOR, Ill. – The University of Chicago men's tennis team picked up its third-straight shutout with a 9-0 victory against Case Western Reserve University on Saturday.
The No. 2-ranked Maroons improved to 14-1. The No. 12-ranked Spartans dropped to 15-8.
The two University Athletic Association (UAA) teams previously met at the ITA Indoor Nationals, with UChicago clinching a 6-3 triumph on February 22. This time around, the Maroons provided a dominant showing in doubles with wins of 8-3, 8-1 and 8-5. With the 3-0 advantage in tow, the home side went on to sweep all six singles spots, including four in straight sets. UChicago won both third sets at No. 4 and No. 5.
UChicago 9, Case Western Reserve 0
1. Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Matthew Chen (CWR) 6-2, 6-2
2. Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Aaron Umen (CWR) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
3. Charlie Pei (UC) def. Anthony Kanam (CWR) 6-4, 6-2
4. Joshua Xu (UC) def. Jonathan Powell (CWR) 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
5. Alex Guzhva (UC) def. Sam Concannon (CWR) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 10-5
6. Alejandro Rodriguez (UC) def. Chaitanya Aduru (CWR) 6-2, 6-4
1. Erik Kerrigan/Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Anthony Kaman/Jonathan Powell (CWR) 8-3
2. Charlie Pei/Joshua Xu (UC) def. Matthew Chen/Zach Hennessey (CWR) 8-1
3. Max Liu/Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Chaitanya Aduru/Aaron Umen (CWR) 8-5
- Sunday, April 14 @ 1:00 PM – Washington University – St. Louis at UChicago (XS Tennis)