ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. – The top-seeded University of Chicago men's tennis squad had little trouble in their University Athletic Association (UAA) Championships opener, downing No. 8 Rochester 5-0 Friday.
The doubles teams of Ninan Kumar/Erik Kerrigan, Charlie Pei/Joshua Xu, and Jeremy Yuan and Tyler Raclin dispatched their Yellowjacket opponents by respective scores of 8-3, 8-2, and 8-1, to set up a race to the finish in singles, as the tournament plays to decision.
Xu won the first match at No. 4 singles, defeating Rochester's Tanmay Thakkar, 6-1, 6-2, and it was senior Charlie Pei to clinch it at No. 3, winning 6-3, 6-2 over Runkia Fang.
The 2018 defending champ Maroons (16-1) advance to Saturday's semifinals, where they will take on fourth-seeded Brandeis. The Judges (15-3) defeated fifth-seeded Case Western Reserve Friday, 5-3.
The winner advances to Sunday's title match to face the winner of No. 2 Emory and No. 3 WashU.
UCHICAGO 5, ROCHESTER 0
1. Erik Kerrigan (UCM) vs. Masaru Fujimaki (URM) 0-6, 1-4, unfinished
2. Jeremy Yuan (UCM) vs. Yifan Shen (URM) 1-6, 6-2, unfinished
3. Charlie Pei (UCM) def. Runjia Fang (URM) 6-3, 6-2
4. Joshua Xu (UCM) def. Tanmay Thakkar (URM) 6-1, 6-2
5. Alejandro Rodriguez, (UCM) vs. Mark Zolotukhin (URM) 6-0, 4-3, unfinished
6. Alex Guzhva (UCM) vs. Sahaj Somani (URM) 6-3, 2-4, unfinished
1. Ninan Kumar/Erik Kerrigan (UCM) def. Masaru Fujimaki/Yifan Shen (URM) 8-3
2. Charlie Pei/Joshua Xu (UCM) def. Sahaj Somani/Pasquale Procaccino (URM) 8-2
3. Jeremy Yuan/Tyler Raclin (UCM) def. Runjia Fang/Peter Huang (URM) 8-1
- Saturday, April 27: (1) UChicago vs. (4) Brandeis (UAA Semifinals at Altamonte Springs, Fla.), 12:30 P.M. ET