ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. – The University of Chicago men's tennis team fell behind and couldn't recover in a 5-3 upset loss to Brandeis University at Saturday's University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship semifinal.
The No. 2-ranked Maroons dropped to 16-2 while the No. 10-ranked Judges improved to 16-3.
Doubles went sideways on the Maroons as they dropped closely-contested bouts 8-6 at No. 2 and 8-7 at No. 3. Juniors Erik Kerrigan and Ninan Kumar emerged with an 8-4 win at No. 1 to gain the first team point.
Sophomore Alejandro Rodriguez was first off the courts in singles, dominating No. 5 by scores of 6-1, 6-2. Brandeis put UChicago on the brink with victories at No. 2 and No. 3. First-year Alex Guzhva staved off the tide, winning 6-4, 6-4 at No. 6. But the Judges took No. 1 in three sets to clinch.
The Maroons will next play Washington University – St. Louis in the UAA third-place match on Sunday morning.
Brandeis 5, UChicago 3
1. David Aizenberg (BR) def. Erik Kerrigan (UC) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
2. Anupreeth Coramutla (BR) def. Jeremy Yuan (UC) 7-5, 6-1
3. Adam Tzeng (BR) def. Charlie Pei (UC) 7-5, 6-2
4. Joshua Xu (UC) vs. Nikhil Das (BR) 6-3, 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
5. Alejandro Rodriguez (UC) def. Rajan Vohra (BR) 6-1, 6-2
6. Alex Guzhva (UC) def. Zach Cihlar (BR) 6-4, 6-4
1. Erik Kerrigan/Ninan Kumar (UC) def. David Aizenberg/Anupreeth Coramutla (BR) 8-4
2. Rajan Vohra/Adam Tzeng (BR) def. Charlie Pei/Joshua Xu (UC) 8-6
3. Tyler Ng/Colt Tegtmeier (BR) def. Tyler Raclin/Jeremy Yuan (UC) 8-7 (7-5)
- Sunday, April 28 @ 8:30 AM (ET) – UChicago vs. Washington University – St. Louis (at Altamonte Springs, Fla.)