ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. – The University of Chicago men's tennis team bounced back in a big way Sunday with superlative doubles play that led to a 5-1 win over Washington University – St. Louis in the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship third-place match.
The No. 2-ranked Maroons (17-2 record) beat the No. 7-ranked Bears (17-7) for the third time this season and fifth in-a-row overall.
One day after a tough loss in the UAA semifinals, UChicago came out on fire in doubles. The Maroons swept all three matchups with scores of 8-5, 8-6 and 8-2. With the contests being played to decision, UChicago only needed to win two of the six singles spots to capture third place.
However, WashU rebounded in singles play by grabbing four first sets with several lopsided results. The Maroons worked their way back into form and were one away after first-year Alex Guzhva won 6-2, 6-3 at No. 6. With match points at both No. 1 and No. 2 singles, it was junior Erik Kerrigan who earned the clincher at No. 1, rallying for a 2-6, 7-6, 6-4 triumph.
UChicago will now await its postseason fate, as the NCAA tournament field will likely be announced on Monday, May 6.
"As disappointed as we were in the result and focus yesterday, we were equally as happy with the win and our effort today," Head Coach Jay Tee said. "Getting three points in doubles was key, but we knew the match was far from over against a conference rival. Things didn't look great early on for us in singles, but our guys showed some real mental and physical toughness to battle back and get the win."
UChicago 5, WashU 1
1. Erik Kerrigan (UC) def. Ethan Hillis (WU) 2-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
2. Jeremy Yuan (UC) vs. Bernardo Neves (WU) 1-6, 6-3, 5-4, unfinished
3. Daniel Li (WU) def. Charlie Pei (UC) 6-2, 6-2
4. Joshua Xu (UC) vs. Ben vander Sman (WU) 7-6, 4-5, unfinished
5. Alejandro Rodriguez (UC) vs. Konrad Kozlowski (WU) 0-6, 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
6. Alex Guzhva (UC) def. Luke McClelland (WU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Erik Kerrigan/Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Konrad Kozlowski/Bernardo Neves (WU) 8-5
2. Charlie Pei/Joshua Xu (UC) def. Ethan Hillis/Ben vander Sman (WU) 8-6
3. Tyler Raclin/Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Luke McClelland/Radha Vishnubhotla (WU) 8-2