CHICAGO – The University of Chicago men's tennis team got off to a fast start and kept on rolling to defeat Augustana College 5-0 in the second round of the NCAA Division III Championship on Saturday morning.
The No. 2-ranked Maroons (18-2 record) received a first-round bye and took on the Vikings (25-7) for the second time this season. In their previous meeting on April 10, UChicago won 9-0.
This time around, the hosts once again took a dominating lead after doubles. The junior combo of Erik Kerrigan and Ninan Kumar, along with junior Tyler Raclin and sophomore Jeremy Yuan, burned through their bouts by matching 8-2 scores. Senior Charlie Pei and first-year Joshua Xu then finished off their opposition 8-5 at No. 2.
UChicago captured all six first sets in singles. Needing only two wins to advance, the Maroons got those in short order at No. 5 and No. 6. First-year Alex Guzhva was first off the courts with a 6-1, 6-0 win. Sophomore Alejandro Rodriguez was only a minute behind him, securing the clinch with a 6-0, 6-0 shutout.
UChicago 5, Augustana 0
1. Erik Kerrigan (UC) vs. Caio DeRezende (AUGIE) 6-2, 2-3, unfinished
2. Jeremy Yuan (UC) vs. Alvaro Leal (AUGIE) 6-4, 0-3, unfinished
3. Charlie Pei (UC) vs. Sriram Sugumaran (AUGIE) 6-0, 3-3, unfinished
4. Joshua Xu (UC) vs. Peter Alex (AUGIE) 6-2, unfinished
5. Alejandro Rodriguez (UC) def. Guilherme Calixto (AUGIE) 6-0, 6-0
6. Alex Guzhva (UC) def. Jack Morkin (AUGIE) 6-1, 6-0
1. Erik Kerrigan/Ninan Kumar (UC) def. Peter Alex/Sriram Sugumaran (AUGIE) 8-2
2. Charlie Pei/Joshua Xu (UC) def. Alvaro Leal/Leo Panosso (AUGIE) 8-5
3. Tyler Raclin/Jeremy Yuan (UC) def. Caio DeRezende/Jack Morkin (AUGIE) 8-2
- Sunday, May 12 @ 12:00 PM – Gustavus Adolphus College at UChicago